Linux Mint Promotion

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Sheether

Linux Mint Promotion

Post by Sheether »

Education version, find out if anyone near you home teaches their kid(s) and give them a solid run down with what they can do with Mint EDU edition.

Mint Studio, similar as above but with "Ubuntu Studio" applications.

Advertise on sites such as ThePirateBay, Youtube, Facebook etc.

Set up a Mint Server edition and pitch to Mom&Pop shops with your "custom built" business model PCs.

Hold "garage sales" and give out free Mint merchandise with each sale at said "garage sale".

Do Facebook/Youtube giveaways etc like once a year or something or perhaps at the beginning of each LTS release for x-amount of people/merchandise.

Setup shop in a flea market if thats an option for ya'll.

I'm certain I haven't mentioned some better alternatives but some of those may prove fruitful.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint Promotion

Post by Pierre »

Sheether wrote: Advertise on sites such as ThePirateBay, Youtube, Facebook etc.
those would most certainly not be an "approved method".

otherwise, most of us, would be doing something, anyway.
- just demonstrating a Linux System - is often the better method.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Pierre wrote:just demonstrating a Linux System - is often the better method.
That is the method I use. For me it is the most effective :) as for one of the aforementioned sites, I certainly wouldn't use that to promote anything which one would expect to have a clean reputation!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Brain

Post by Brain »

Three things: 1) more GUI configuration tools. TOOLS, TOOLS, & more TOOLS. Automate as much as possible. Computer users don't want to generally geek around, they want to show off flashy things & play games. Remove the user from the command-line. Look how popular Macintosh Apples are. BSD underneath, slick graphics & GUI on top. We need to stop being Linux "snobs," "oh, you didn't know it was 'lshw' to SHoW your hardware? Aren't you stupid & ain't I cool because I've spent my precious time learning such things."
2) Capture the corporations. The BIG ones. AT&T is the largest corporate user of Windows in the U.S., yet they're paranoid about security. They have a staff of computer experts to maintain machines who would be perfectly happy if it were Linux OSs they were supporting. You put 600,000 Linux boxes on a company's desks and people will notice.
3) That new little integrated Mint Box. It's cute, it works, & it's cheap.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

To be honest, I stumbled upon Mint because I was looking for an alternative to windows. I would never have thought of using it, because I thought Linux was too complicated. Having found the wonderful Mint I now know how great it is and how great the community here is. As much as I can I promote it to others and have placed it on our son's work pc along side windows which he needs for certain things as the companies don't have a linux version of their software. Now as much as self promotion is wonderful, we can all only reach a relatively small number of people.
I am surprised that although there is a Linux Mint twitter, there is little action on that page. I understand this voluntary, but the use of social media is perhaps the best advertising tool there is. Practically everyone has even a twitter or facebook account, so may be just a little be more action here might help. It doesn't have to be every day or even every week, just enough to get it out there. And if every member of this forum retweeted and mention it on facebook with the direct links to the web pages I am sure that will help.
In the meantime I shall do my best with my blog to direct peeps in this direction and once they have (my blog) has been done in a few days time post them on facebook and twitter.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Sheether wrote:Advertise on sites such as ThePirateBay
You've got to be joking.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

I continually tell people how wonderful it is, and I compare it with Windows 10.

I have my wife now using it -- my computer is the best computer in the house, so if she want to use the "good" computer, she has to use Linux Mint! :D

Seriously, she appears to like using it, so I think I have a convert!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Set up a Mint Server edition and pitch to Mom&Pop shops with your "custom built" business model PCs.
How will Mint server edition be different to Ubuntu server, given that just about everything Mint adds is GUI based? Why would business use Mint server?
Brain wrote:Three things: 1) more GUI configuration tools. TOOLS, TOOLS, & more TOOLS. Automate as much as possible. Computer users don't want to generally geek around, they want to show off flashy things & play games. Remove the user from the command-line. Look how popular Macintosh Apples are. BSD underneath, slick graphics & GUI on top. We need to stop being Linux "snobs," "oh, you didn't know it was 'lshw' to SHoW your hardware? Aren't you stupid & ain't I cool because I've spent my precious time learning such things.
TOOLS, TOOLS, TOOLS I agree with, but if you think Mint lacks GUI tools in order to be elitist I think you're mistaken, and those guys asking people to enter stuff in the terminal are generally doing it to enable them to help others out with problems in the quickest possible manner.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Brain wrote:Remove the user from the command-line.
:shock:
I hadn't spotted that! No no NO!! Provide GUI alternatives by all means, but for some of us the Terminal is an essential resource and is much quicker and easier than graphical tools for more tasks than you might realize. It is, however, optional for many users.
MintBean wrote:those guys asking people to enter stuff in the terminal are generally doing it to enable them to help others out with problems in the quickest possible manner
+1. Since people have different versions, different desktop environments and sometimes highly customized, it's certainly easier to ask someone to copy & paste a few commands in the Terminal than to go through various menus etc..
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Brain wrote:Three things: 1) more GUI configuration tools. TOOLS, TOOLS, & more TOOLS. Automate as much as possible. Computer users don't want to generally geek around, they want to show off flashy things & play games. Remove the user from the command-line. Look how popular Macintosh Apples are. BSD underneath, slick graphics & GUI on top. We need to stop being Linux "snobs," "oh, you didn't know it was 'lshw' to SHoW your hardware? Aren't you stupid & ain't I cool because I've spent my precious time learning such things."
I'd agree with that. In addition, an automated setting to install essential security updates would be useful. Many computer users don't want to have to bother with anything other than web surfing, entertainment and messaging. Providing a "Security Settings" icon in the General settings panel could be useful, say with 3 options Paranoid, Cautious, Risk-taker. Then for each choice a GUI window with boxes ticked for a variety of security options - firewall, levels of browser settings, etc - One would need to be careful as users might like the idea of security but they also want functionality.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have been doing some rebuilding and LM installs for some seniors in assisted living.
I have been refurbishing their computers by cleaning out the dust and getting rid of windows by copying their diaries (word docs and Pictures) to flash drives and loading LM 18.2 or 3 cinnamon and putting up all the pretty pictures, a couple of games (Kpat) solitaire and using pink icons and red buttons. I also use much larger fonts like 10 to 14 and 1.4 or 1.5 text scaling factor. The documents are much easier for them to read this way. I go by weekly and windows is starting to disappear from the facility. I WOUND UP SETTING THE OFFICE UP WITH LM 18.2 Cinnamon. For the first time they are bug free.
Keetoowah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keetoowah »

Sheether wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:28 pm Set up a Mint Server edition and pitch to Mom&Pop shops with your "custom built" business model PCs.
I feel LM would be better off focusing solely on developing the best desktop environment they can. Having another 'sever edition' wouldn't help bring more average people to the Linux side.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Keetoowah wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:28 pm I feel LM would be better off focusing solely on developing the best desktop environment they can.
I don't disagree, but does this three-year-old discussion really need to be brought back to the top? I'm thinking that it doesn't.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”