Promotion by example

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
LaughingGravy

Promotion by example

Post by LaughingGravy »

I've been using and introducing / teaching Linux for many years mostly being successful in at least getting folks to dual boot and in some cases ditch Windows completely. Surprisingly the majority are older people not the younger generation. I live in a village with a very accommodating community centre and I'm in talks with them to use one of the smaller halls to teach classes.

I'll be using Mint of course and will be available to help install and configure if required in my spare time. With some time investment I can't think of a better way to spread the word and remove any mystique about Linux and maybe wean people off Windows.

Is this possible for you? Is it worth bringing your local community together by example? I'd love to know your thoughts.
MintBean

Re: Promotion by example

Post by MintBean »

Good work, my friend. I've shown Mint to a bunch of people and offered to install it for them. Unfortunately they all sound enthusiastic initially but eventually decline despite how much they bemoan Windows. :D
Last edited by MintBean on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaughingGravy

Post by LaughingGravy »

I hear ya and it pains me as I've experienced that too but once getting someone sitting in the driving seat and prompting them through an easy Mint install I usually have a convert. I know some have felt confident enough to do their own install and even for friends. Most folks aren't power users so surfing, email and some useful apps is about enough to get them going, never have to use a CLI. I think teaching hands on is so valuable.
MintBean wrote:Good work, my friend. I've shown Mint to a bunch of people and offered to install it from them. Unfortunately they all sound enthusiastic initially but eventually decline despite how much they bemoan Windows. :D
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

You are doing good deeds LaughingGravy. I am one of the very, very old generation and I must confess it has taken some time to get my head around the basics. Now that I have, I am hooked on to Linux Mint for the rest of my days. I was there with Windows and Mac at the very beginning and apart from my ipad - I can't take a big laptop into the garden! - I have said goodbye to them both for whatever remaining years I have. I'll spare you a long essay on why Microsoft and Apple have lost the plot. Suffice to say, they are a disaster! They don't go simple, they go more and complicated. Apple are introducing and pushing lots of fancy gizmo things yet can't even get their iBooks sorted!

Linux Mint is the answer to all my prayers. It is simple and very effective once learned and established. I don't want silly games and flashing 3D lights. I want a p.c. that will work for me by doing my work - spreadsheets, databases, emails, browsing, music and so forth. I don't want my laptop crippled by updates from MS - updates they don't give you information about. I also have major reservations about Apple/Windows privacy. None with Linux.

To the promotion. I am always 'selling' Linux on Twitter whenever the occasion allows it. I even subvert Apple/MS tweets with such things as: "Ever tried Linux Mint? Easier and Free". Needless to say I try to convert my friends.

The best promotion I believe is this very forum and its members. There is always somebody who will help out for free. No long telephone calls to MS's so called 'Experts'. I would refer all who want to make the change to come to this forum. I would further strongly advocate they read Pjotr's superb tuition pages on Google.

I'll close with this. If I was filthy rich I would set up a team to make a Linux Mint Tablet. Nothing special, just the basics like those of my generation who like the simple phones not those that tell you when your washing is done or how long the cat has been outside.

Linux Mint: Simply effective - Effectively simple - And it is free!

:D
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have been using Linux for 15 years, and have converted a few people during that time. Two of my brothers and one of my sisters have moved to Linux. A number of my friends have been converted to Linux. A year or two ago, I joined the computer club at the local senior center. All Windows users, but I did a presentation on Linux, and I think some of them are going to try Linux. During my presentation I mentioned dual booting, and they wanted to know if I could dual boot the club's computer. I have it now and will get it done before the club meetings start up again next month. I also mentioned that Linux runs well on older computers. At a later meeting, I mentioned that I had been told that half the members of the senior center don't have computers, and I guessed that probably the other half had one gathering dust in their closet. And several people put 2 and 2 together immediately: "Hey, we could get all those computers that are currently gathering dust, put Linux on them, and give them to those who don't have computers!" We shall see what happens.

I also mention Linux on Facebook all the time, and a few people have asked questions, but as far as I know, no converts yet. It amazes me how stubbornly people will stick to Windows, even people who complain about it all the time.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well, I've had a few successes, too, & even a few Linux Installs.
but, everyone who knows me, also knows what I'd like & dislike in the World of Computers.
- no Linux Install Feast, though.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Public demonstration can be quite effective, I've been doing a variety of tasks whilst out & about, often taking peripherals with me.

On one occasion I was scanning documents which I hadn't had time to do before going out, that got some interest. As did the occasions I've been working with CDs, DVDs and floppy disks :mrgreen: and have demonstrated VirtualBox .. with Windows 3.1 running in it, installed from images I made from the original floppy disks! What a blast from the past.

When people see all the things it can do and how fast and responsive it is, it does seed some interest. There are a few potential converts now.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have helped 7 or 8 people convert to linux - almost all were drawn to it because of frustrations with Windows.
Funny I know a few people who hate Windows put resist moving to linux . . . oh well.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have been using the shotgun approach. My coffee shop friends and friends at church. I have resurrected many scraptops and given them away to youngsters and seniors that did not have the wherewithall to buy a working computer. They then showed them to others and convinced them to have me install LM or installed it for them.some I just show them one of my machines and let them browse with it before they buy a new SSD and have me swap out their HDD and install LM on it for their full time OS. Of course it is nice that Fry's is fairly close and they usually buy a TB SSD or 500GB and then let them watch me swap drives and do the install while I put their old Windex drive on a USB adapter to then unload a few windows files (pictures and documents). I always set them up with shortcuts to the forum and other features like showing them how to automatically go to private browsing and which anti-popup to use.
Imac users I let use one of my laptops for a week and then they have me do a conversion for them. Dual boot at first before the IMac crashes by it's own accord then swapping out the HDD with a bigger SSD and more RAM when I vacuum it out and service the fans and heatsinks. it is funny because when I drop in at the Apple store or an iMac shop all they do is glair at me and I smile like the cat that got the mouse. They make asses out of themselves trying to sell a new IMac when I fix them for $200 to $300. The latter if the screen is dead. I have brought in some of my old MacBook 2.0 with Xos Lion dual booted with LM 18.2 for evaluation. The salesmen darned near had a stroke. Over 20 salesmen hovered around the MacBook for 20 minutes. They left their customers waiting.
When the salesmen got done they were severely disoriented :lol:
Last edited by Tomgin5 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Had another conversion last night. A friend had his HDD crash from overflowing upadtes on Windex. He had picked up a new 480GB SSD yesterday. I loaded inLM18.2 into the new SSD after adjusting the UEFI to look for the DVD that I had burned on one of my other computers. It took less than 20 minutes to install. Then I downloades in the rest of 18.2 on line. Only another 15 minutes. Iinstalled the Intel internal driver and rebooted. it only took 10 seconds to reboot after that. everything issuperfast. pages change to new pages faster than your finger can come off the button. He is estatic with the install after Windex. He was spending 20-30 minutes to boot then up to 4 hours for updates from Windex and then battling demands for $125 for renewed Office license and $100+ for renewed Norton and the same for Kaspersky.
He does contract work for intel and the other foundries (semiconductor) in the area. He is spreading the word today.
We tried getting on the forums last night but the server was down.
I loaded him up with links for reading last night.
He will probably be signing in today.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Looks like I have a definite convert from the other night at my local, especially after I demonstrated all the things that Linux Mint can do and was able to determine that everything he needs will work fine. Another Ex-Windows customer! :mrgreen:

There are a few others interested and now I (finally) have my email set up properly I'll be able to assist with these. Didn't want to hand out my "online" email addresses as I'm migrating away from those in favour of GANDI + KMail.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
bdobson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bdobson »

My 82 year old dad got fed up with the intrusive nature of Windows 10 (ie forcing windows apps to be used instead of ones he set up for the same purpose). So I brought my old laptop with Mint 19 on it to his house and started surfing the web on it. He was curious and I showed him this old Laptop that shipped with VISTA, being brought back to life by Mint. After showing him around the mint desktop he asked me if it would run on his W10 Laptop. I told him "Easily". Next question: "Does it force me to use their programs?" I told him "mint doesn't have its own apps, it uses open source." Keep in mind he's 82 and didn't know what "open source" meant. Put it in laymans terms told him "free programs" and "mint will only use what you tell it to use."

So that same day he had me install MINT to his laptop, removing windows, and he's been happy with it since!

(Added bonus: He likes that updates take seconds not hours)
taking it to 11

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”