Linux mint mascot.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux mint mascot.

Post by Moem »

Jedinovice wrote:To see Miku in action as a person see here, seriously. Worth it. You'll see.
Nope, sorry, that does not work for me at all. My previous comments stand.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Moem wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:To see Miku in action as a person see here, seriously. Worth it. You'll see.
Nope, sorry, that does not work for me at all. My previous comments stand.
It is my belief that computing attracts a very particular personality type as well - the INTP. I know because I was surrounded by them at Uni and spent 15 years working alongside them in IT roles!

The INTP type is very analytical, through and tends to value high intelligence over emotion or sentimentality. They devour information and can often speak to tech as if it were their first language. Er, so much so,sometimes, that I have had to act as the translator for the rest of the world a few times turning tech in English!

INTP's, er, tend not to be romantic. (Oddly enough, I have found quite an attraction to rock music among this type.) In fact, the INTP gets really, er, irritated with those they regard as stupid or irrational.

[Note that Linus Torvalds is almost the personification of the INTP including his colourful language. INTP's speak their mind and don't care what other think and do not suffer those they regard as fools lightly!]

Anime characters tend to be favoured by romantics. I'm an off the scale romantic! Although I have worked in IT in my time - in very technical roles in fact, my personality has always been at odds with the usual techies that surrounded me!

My tastes are going to be WAAAYYYYYY off, I figure, from the majority of users here! Also, anime is way more popular in the East where I am now than anywhere in the West anyway... though it is increasing in popularity after a lot of recent dis-satisfaction with recent Western media...

My point being... I was not really being that serious about a 'tan' - though I was about Miku having a personality - because, I would not expect anime characters to be favored amongst the Linux community! Not a hope! In fact, I would expect Rock icon/characters to be better favored! If one is seeking to have a mascot for the EXISTING Linux fraternity sentimentality is best avoided. That may be why Tux worked... That, and the fact a fellow INTP came up with the idea - Torvalds himself! And Tux was never intended to be cute!

If Mint is going to have a mascot... it would have to be something edgy I would think, not sentimental. More rock than anime I would suggest as a starter. But even then there would be clash between being 'edgy' and Mint as a friendly OS.

But I doubt, in reality, a mascot character for Mint is going to fly. I don't think most Mint users would ever actually get into a mascot character. If I were SERIOUS about a Mint mascot; I would just take Tux and give him a green hairdo myself.

As Linux Torvalds put when the 386 code standard was eventually dropped; "I'm not sentimental. Drop it."

I don't see Torvalds as an anime fan. Just go green haired Tux.

[Now, a Mint LOGO might work!]
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Oh, the Mint logo needs improvement, that we can agree on.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Jedinovice wrote: I doubt, in reality, a mascot character for Mint is going to fly. I don't think most Mint users would ever actually get into a mascot character. If I were SERIOUS about a Mint mascot; I would just take Tux and give him a green hairdo myself.
Tux is a penguin. Still not going to fly. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Tux is an abomination, too. No cuddly toys please. Mascots just feel like such an unnecessary 'bolt on.' We don't want to attract any more bronies to Linux.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Jedinovice wrote:...
It is my belief that computing attracts a very particular personality type as well - the INTP...
I usually don't use such direct wording, but that's ridiculous. Everyone uses computer nowadays.

If you're talking about making Mint more attractive, you'd be wanting people from all walks of life. Not just the INTP type. INTP don't need silly mascots to be attracted.

Remember this annoying guy from Microsoft?
Clipit.png
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

MintBean wrote:Tux is an abomination, too. No cuddly toys please. Mascots just feel like such an unnecessary 'bolt on.' We don't want to attract any more bronies to Linux.
I think my point has been proven...

:lol:

For the record:

(Over generalisation alert!)

Techies = INTP

INTP's
wend1.jpg
DO NOT DO 'CUTE'

Whilst... INFP's
LOVE CUTE!!!
rainbows1.jpg
They love bright pastel colors, anime goddesses, angels, rainbows and balloons, Bambi eyed cat girls, care bears and...
die.jpg
They must die.
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

JerryF wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:...
It is my belief that computing attracts a very particular personality type as well - the INTP...
I usually don't use such direct wording, but that's ridiculous. Everyone uses computer nowadays.

If you're talking about making Mint more attractive, you'd be wanting people from all walks of life. Not just the INTP type. INTP don't need silly mascots to be attracted.

Remember this annoying guy from Microsoft?
Clipit.png
OK, let me clarify a bit. For the record, while it has taken a while to get people into Linux, oddly enough, as I count the 'converts' every single one has been an INFP, excluding the local orphans.

Two of them are serious anime fans. Of those two one is going into electronic engineering so of course life is not so simple.

I concur that lots of different type of people use technology and Linux. That is a given.

However, if I may defend myself a little. .. certain occupations do attract certain personality types and the real, hard core techie does tend towards being the INTP type ala Linus Torvalds...

And they tend to be the ones who frequent (and moderate!) technical boards like this one! On a Linux forum I doubt you are going to find much support for mascot or cute!! As I believe I have just demonstrated!

A mascot might get more traction among other personality types including the hopelessly starry eyes INFPs (I suffer the affliction. :-) ) But one is likely to get better feedback on a mascot character on other forums which are more likely to attract the other types. I think you will find that technical forums are rather INTP dominated!

Discussion of a mascot caracter especially a TAN or anime char might be best done, oddly enough, on an anime forum. I belong to an AMV forum, though I have had very little time for it this year with the demands of setting up my business. Man, am I looking forward to next year when all the initial set up costs and work is complete! Heck, my Hatsune Miku tribute video is just frozen in development!

But I would also argue that I do not see how a mascot actually work because I think mascots actually work with technology. The only exception I can point to, and it's more because the mascot is the product is Hatsune Miku!

I have got the INFP's over by showing them what Mint can do and showing off my AMV's and then getting the prospective 'victims; to guess how much the software cost for me to create...
"$100" is the usual guess,
"$0"
?????

Then I demo more from there.

Tux has worked as a general Linux logo but not, I would argue, as a mascot and I fear that the techies working with servers, development, engineering and the like would scream blue murder if they were represented by a cutesy mascot! I think there would be mascot wars...! I also fear this would generate negative publicity for Linux. OK, i grant we are only talking Mint which is a desktop distro but I still fear...

As it is, I cannot think of a mascot character outside of Tux, which is more of a Logo, that I can associate with any technology. I grant your note regarding clippie but clippie was not a mascot character. He/it was more like Miku - a feature. And Clippie was loathed and despised!

Frankly, the real issue with getting greater traction with Linux I find is the ENTRENCHED belief that Linux is a techie's only OS which is really hard to use with no usable software. Then there is Windows inertia with people absolutely unwilling to move from Windows even when learning Windows 10 is harder move from 7 than (say) Mint Linux KDE. mascot is not going to the ignorant masses because they are, well, ignorant. I mean that literally. Joe Publis still has no idea what Linus, especially a distro like Mint, is like! They are still stuck with a vision of Linux circa 1999!

So... if a mascot character is to really be discussed for Mint Linux, I suspect the idea would actually get more traction on other forums related to art and design rather than here. I fear too many techies who would (and have) vomited over the idea!

But I must admit that while I personally like the idea of a green haired Gumi like (joke notwithstanding)character representing Mint... I don't think a mascot is going to make any difference to selling Mint to be honest because... I can't think of a single technical product at the moment sold via a mascot. Not even Apple has gone there.

I think more demo videos of Mint doing stuff is actually a better bet. At least they can be linked to when the Mac user insists that Linux is an OS for techies only, is CLI only, you have to compile all your code from source, yadda, yadda, yadda... Yes, I have had recent experience!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Cast your votes please.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=255314
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

MintBean wrote:Cast your votes please.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=255314
Done already. I voted for the Care bears!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Jedinovice wrote:Done already. I voted for the Care bears!
Noooo! :wink:
IUseLinucCusIsFree

Post by IUseLinucCusIsFree »

Well i found something on devianart.
https://orig00.deviantart.net/a0a5/f/20 ... 97c0g2.jpg

I think something like that will fit friendliness and elegance of linux.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't know which of your weird letter codes I would be. I like cute young animals, and cats. I'm romantic. I like comics. And I strongly dislike the way women/girls are generally depicted in manga.

Even that 'elegant' version is a weird mixture of doll-like features, baby-like facial proportions, and breasts that indicate a fully grown woman. It's very offputting to me.

JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:Well i found something on devianart.
https://orig00.deviantart.net/a0a5/f/20 ... 97c0g2.jpg

I think something like that will fit friendliness and elegance of linux.
Ugh!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Linux Mint could replace Franklin Mint. You could have a Mint Santa or a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona Custom in Mint green.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

It would have to be Shaun the Sheep with Mint Source ---muahahahahahaha---
Debowy_Mocny

Post by Debowy_Mocny »

Well its not stupid idea. ANd i know where linux mint can find someone to make a good mascot.

Actually guy named "Tyson Tan", creator of Konqi and KiKi. He said on twitter he will draw mascot for any free software project, linux mint team can ask him to make design mascot for the best Distro aka linux mint.

Always it will improve merchandise and gives more posibilities for promotion.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

So everyone does not like cute or senseable. How about a Catweasle Pic?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Moem wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am
Jedinovice wrote: I doubt, in reality, a mascot character for Mint is going to fly. I don't think most Mint users would ever actually get into a mascot character. If I were SERIOUS about a Mint mascot; I would just take Tux and give him a green hairdo myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfWzp7rYR4 :wink:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I reckon Moem's or All41's avatars could be a mascot, but, seriously? Who cares? We're here for an operating system, not a bl**dy football game!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”