review of linux mint 18.3

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

review of linux mint 18.3

Post by kc1di »

Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: review of linux mint 18.3

Post by JoeFootball »

SJVN wrote:Linux Mint isn't just the best Linux desktop, it's the best desktop, period.
Hmm, I think he liked it. :)

Joe
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

in using Linux desktops for over 25 years now, I have needed to use an anti-virus program because, for all practical purposes, there are no Linux viruses.
Oops... looks like someone forgot a rather crucial 'not' there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Moem wrote:
in using Linux desktops for over 25 years now, I have needed to use an anti-virus program because, for all practical purposes, there are no Linux viruses.
Oops... looks like someone forgot a rather crucial 'not' there.
Yup think you caught it :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

SVJN wrote:...I have never needed to use an anti-virus program...
Fixed. :)
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

If your main computing needs are web browsing, paying bills on line, shopping on line, social media, photo management (galleries, not much photoshopping), music management (playlists, etc.), some basic to moderate word processing (letters, homework, recipes) and spreadsheets (simple home finance, homework) then there is no reason to be using anything other than Linux. By the way, I just described 90% of the computing public.

I always have a LiveUSB of the latest version of Mint Cinnamon with me. Some people do ask me about fixing their computers and I will reboot their computer and boot into Mint Cinnamon. I then show them what it can do with their "broken" system. So far I've only had one taker to install Linux, who is more than satisfied. Everyone else was still in an unhappy marriage with Windows or macOS. Time to divorce Microsoft and Apple and live happily ever after with Linux.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:Everyone else was still in an unhappy marriage with Windows or macOS.
I wish I could figure out what makes them stay in that unhappy marriage. I hear people complain about Windows all the time, but will they switch to Linux? If they did, they would, as you suggested, live happily ever after. After using Linux myself for over a dozen years, my brother Dave and my sister Patti finally asked me to put Linux on their computers. Both of them seem to be quite happy with it, and I think I got only one support call from each of them. Dave's wife thanked me profusely, because "now I don't have to listen to Dave yell at the computer any more." Newcomers to Mint often post that they are immensely happy that they switched to Linux, and many of them say "I should have done this years ago." I started collecting those posts in a file I call LInuxSuccessStories, and that file is now up to 30 pages. And yet people stick with Windows. Beats me.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

JoeFootball wrote:Linux Mint isn't just the best Linux desktop, it's the best desktop, period.
No it ain't. macOS is the best desktop.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

jimallyn wrote:"now I don't have to listen to Dave yell at the computer any more."
HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!

This is literally a case of I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I yell at my work computer, my home computers, and any friend's computers they ask me to fix. Windows has it's uses, but it's really not for just general computing. Look at the Microsoft commercials; it's all about the wonderful things your mind can think of and how the new Microsoft Surface can manipulate them. Web surfing? No. Paying bills on line? No. Doing all of the mundane tasks that are the REAL reasons people buy computers? No. Microsoft wants Windows = Mac. Go for it. I have a REAL life and I need a REAL computer, not an extension of my imagination, which is what Microsoft and Apple are selling.
Rebel Dog

Post by Rebel Dog »

We found this PC at Walmart for $105 with monitor, key board, Mouse, Win10,,,,,Both grandsons complained how slow it runs. My wife and my soon in law said, seams good to me.
I looked for better ways to speed it up, fed up I installed Linux mint Sarah, Wine HQ and FNAF World. Both grand sons,,"Grandpa, this is the fastest computer we have ever seen"....Word of mouth,,,They tell friends.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:18 pm ...
I hear people complain about Windows all the time, but will they switch to Linux? If they did, they would, as you suggested, live happily ever after.
And yet people stick with Windows. Beats me.
I hear you Jim. But in my opinion, there are users who subconsciously like the struggle because they feel that they're working hard but in reality, they're hardly working in the end.

Also, there are some, like I am, that have to use Windows at work.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

JerryF wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:02 pmAlso, there are some, like I am, that have to use Windows at work.
They, and you, have my sympathy.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:02 pm
It's still a choice
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

I work as a pharmacy technician in a skill nursing facility, I have to use office applications almost every day to work in documentation, the computer I use at work has windows 10 on it, I hate to use microsoft office and or windows to work with documents, so I learned how to do a Puppy Linux bootable usb drive and problem solved, so now whenever I need to work with documents, I boot Puppy Linux from usb and use Libreoffice! 8)
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

all41 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 pm
It's still a choice
Really?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 am
all41 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 pm
It's still a choice
Really?
+1
In my former life (job - US Army) we used Windows - and believe me, we had no choice.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i feel for you there majpooper...im still converting old military machines from Vista to linux believe it or not...Vista ? really ??...and they were firing missiles with these things ???...lol...DAMIEN
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm i feel for you there majpooper...im still converting old military machines from Vista to linux believe it or not...Vista ? really ??...and they were firing missiles with these things ???...lol...DAMIEN
LOL Missiles on hold while windows updates "Please do not turn off computer"
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”