Level 10

review of linux mint 18.3

Postby kc1di » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 am

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: review of linux mint 18.3

Postby JoeFootball » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 am

SJVN wrote:Linux Mint isn't just the best Linux desktop, it's the best desktop, period.

Hmm, I think he liked it. :)

Joe

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Moem » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 am

in using Linux desktops for over 25 years now, I have needed to use an anti-virus program because, for all practical purposes, there are no Linux viruses.

Oops... looks like someone forgot a rather crucial 'not' there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kc1di » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

Moem wrote:
in using Linux desktops for over 25 years now, I have needed to use an anti-virus program because, for all practical purposes, there are no Linux viruses.

Oops... looks like someone forgot a rather crucial 'not' there.

Yup think you caught it :)

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JoeFootball » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:12 pm

SVJN wrote:...I have never needed to use an anti-virus program...

Fixed. :)

CaptainKirksChair
Level 3
Level 3

Postby CaptainKirksChair » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 pm

If your main computing needs are web browsing, paying bills on line, shopping on line, social media, photo management (galleries, not much photoshopping), music management (playlists, etc.), some basic to moderate word processing (letters, homework, recipes) and spreadsheets (simple home finance, homework) then there is no reason to be using anything other than Linux. By the way, I just described 90% of the computing public.

I always have a LiveUSB of the latest version of Mint Cinnamon with me. Some people do ask me about fixing their computers and I will reboot their computer and boot into Mint Cinnamon. I then show them what it can do with their "broken" system. So far I've only had one taker to install Linux, who is more than satisfied. Everyone else was still in an unhappy marriage with Windows or macOS. Time to divorce Microsoft and Apple and live happily ever after with Linux.

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Postby jimallyn » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:18 pm

CaptainKirksChair wrote:Everyone else was still in an unhappy marriage with Windows or macOS.

I wish I could figure out what makes them stay in that unhappy marriage. I hear people complain about Windows all the time, but will they switch to Linux? If they did, they would, as you suggested, live happily ever after. After using Linux myself for over a dozen years, my brother Dave and my sister Patti finally asked me to put Linux on their computers. Both of them seem to be quite happy with it, and I think I got only one support call from each of them. Dave's wife thanked me profusely, because "now I don't have to listen to Dave yell at the computer any more." Newcomers to Mint often post that they are immensely happy that they switched to Linux, and many of them say "I should have done this years ago." I started collecting those posts in a file I call LInuxSuccessStories, and that file is now up to 30 pages. And yet people stick with Windoze. Beats me.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Postby z31fanatic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:37 pm

JoeFootball wrote:Linux Mint isn't just the best Linux desktop, it's the best desktop, period.

No it ain't. macOS is the best desktop.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 3
Level 3

Postby CaptainKirksChair » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:15 pm

jimallyn wrote:"now I don't have to listen to Dave yell at the computer any more."

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!

This is literally a case of I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I yell at my work computer, my home computers, and any friend's computers they ask me to fix. Windows has it's uses, but it's really not for just general computing. Look at the Microsoft commercials; it's all about the wonderful things your mind can think of and how the new Microsoft Surface can manipulate them. Web surfing? No. Paying bills on line? No. Doing all of the mundane tasks that are the REAL reasons people buy computers? No. Microsoft wants Windows = Mac. Go for it. I have a REAL life and I need a REAL computer, not an extension of my imagination, which is what Microsoft and Apple are selling.

Return to “Promotion”