Dedoimedo - Review of 18.3 Sylvia

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Dedoimedo - Review of 18.3 Sylvia

Post by thx-1138 »

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Dedoimedo - Review of 18.3 Sylvia

Post by Moem »

It seems he forgot to mention the desktop environment he was testing. Never a good sign.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...i would assume Cinnamon from the photos?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Should you have to assume, though?
I would assume the same because he is mentioning Nemo, but he's not stating it anywhere and that's kinda fundamental when you're writing a review.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There are 2 pictures which show clearly, that the blog is about Cinnamon: The screenshot of the welcome screen and the one of the autostart options.

But for somebody as this author it is a very weak picture, that he does not tell clearly, what he is writing about. I expect also from posters in the forum, that they say clearly and at best at a prominent place (not in the signature and also not hidden somewhere between the text about the problem description) which system exactly they are using. Somebody, who regularly blogs about Linux distro should do it automatically. So it is allowed to have doubts, what else he has forgotten to write about.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I do enjoy his reviews although odd that he doesn't specify the DE - although it clearly is Cinnamon.

Nice conclusion given his scathing conclusions of some other well-known distros recently ....kudos Mint team.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia is a very reasonable distribution. First, it's better than most 2017 offerings by a long shot. But comparing to bad stuff is hardly useful. When we stack it against a few rare gems, it holds quite well. You get familiar looks, most if not all of the stuff you need out of the box, and the rest is just a click away. Good networking, media and smartphone support, elegant package management, excellent stability, easy customization. Lots of perks and smart touches.

The negatives would be an odd glitch or two, and some visual dust. Mint feels a bit archaic, and font quality can be improved mostly by altering the default theme actually. But there are no showstoppers, no cardinal problems, nothing to make you want to cry in a dark corner of an abandoned warehouse. Solid, predictable, practical. Grade 9.7/10, and it really is one of the more refreshing distro releases recently. Well worth testing. So you should. Right now.

Cheers.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/bes ... -2017.html

And Sylvia is his second-best distro of 2017.....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Thanks for the link - rare to see such a thoroughgoing review, and judgments are about right. There's far too much community enthusiasm about half-baked "because I can" hobby distros and he seems to have his head straight about what a good working release really is. (I share the preference for an icon-free workspace showing a nice background photo.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”