Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please
kb2qqm
Level 1
Level 1

Neighbors Computer

Post by kb2qqm » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:41 pm

My Neighbor's Microsoft computers are all kaput. I tried telling him about Linux Mint. People are SO AFRAID of new things. I'm going to produce a quick movie for him with SimpleScreenRecorder. I even have an older Dell I could give him Throw a new ssd in there and its a new computer.

the word "LINUX" terrifies people. The Problem with the way Linux is marketed is thru techno-nerd geeks. People believe Linux is too complex for them to use. Compatibility is also a huge issue with what they are use to. Program compatibility with what works the way their windows programs work. Like opening a document and it opens poorly in Libre office. that stuff pisses me off. People need to see Linux Mint or whatever in action. Why doesn't everyone make a movie and just show people how to use Linux in their everyday life.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Neighbors Computer

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm

i will go you one better.
i invite folks i know to my house and show them just how easy it is to operate, then let them take it out for a test drive, kick the tires, etc.
from Oct 2016 to present date, this has resulted in 80 new installs of various flavours of linux, (depends on their hardware).
there is nothing like watching peoples eyes bug out when they see a fully booted, operational OS in 5 seconds from cold boot...lol...then they get to see what it can really do from there...DAMIEN
EDIT
ps...added bonus. most of the people i know here in the alamogordo area have been using pppoe services from Century Link ISP at a whopping 5Mbps download speed on average, (lol), and paying almost twice as much than i pay for 100Mbps for my TDS ISP. so in turn for referring new customers to them, they not only give me a 50 dollar bounty for each one i refer, but they also give me a great price of 55 dollars a month for my service and keep it there for me...what more can i ever ask for?
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

kb2qqm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kb2qqm » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:15 pm

That is AWESOME... I will have to build up my old system and just give it to my neighbor. He would appreciate it.

Greg

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:25 pm

hi greg...i added an "edit" to my previous post while you were typing your reply...a side note also, my 2 nieces are your "neighbors" as they live in Madison... one is a teacher, the other is a TSA supervisor...my ISP service also has their home base in Madison, Wisconsin, in all the years ive had home internet service since i think, since around 1999, they are by far the very best ISP ive encountered, EVER...absolutely zero problems with them for 8 years now...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

kb2qqm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kb2qqm » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 am

Madison is a fun town. I'm in Racine. Madison is 90 minutes West to me. I think we have timewarner cable here. Not many problems ever here either.

G

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 am

kb2qqm wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:41 pm
My Neighbor's Microsoft computers are all kaput. I tried telling him about Linux Mint. People are SO AFRAID of new things. I'm going to produce a quick movie for him with SimpleScreenRecorder. I even have an older Dell I could give him Throw a new ssd in there and its a new computer.

the word "LINUX" terrifies people. The Problem with the way Linux is marketed is thru techno-nerd geeks. People believe Linux is too complex for them to use. Compatibility is also a huge issue with what they are use to. Program compatibility with what works the way their windows programs work. Like opening a document and it opens poorly in Libre office. that stuff pisses me off. People need to see Linux Mint or whatever in action. Why doesn't everyone make a movie and just show people how to use Linux in their everyday life.
I've been through this several times - they hate Windows or at least complain about Windows but are afraid of linux without even trying it. There are a half dozen family and friends I have installed mint for and serve as their safety blanket. But their are a few others that would rather complain and fret about their PCs/laptops but not change. One BIG obstacle is not being able to run their favorite Windows app or a Windows app they need for work - that definitely has been a show stopper in my experience. And they don't want to hear about linux equivalent apps. I get the impression that they think linux is not reliable or just something hobbyist play around with - they actually feel more comfortable with a product from a corporation with name recognition that they think has a support infrastructure in place even though they get ripped off. I have had someone tell me they went back to a Big Box store's computer service department and were charged something like $80 (can't remember exactly how much) to "fix" their PC because it was running slow but they couldn't tell what was actually done to fix the problem.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:37 am

majpooper wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 am
I have had someone tell me they went back to a Big Box store's computer service department and were charged something like $80 (can't remember exactly how much) to "fix" their PC because it was running slow but they couldn't tell what was actually done to fix the problem.
They booted to a Mint LiveUSB, mounted the NTFS volume, and ran a cleanup.sh file that automated the cleaning process.

"Why, THANK you so much Mr. Computer Man!"
"It was actually really easy. You'd be surprised."

Return to “Promotion”