How about selling some as I call "ready-to-boot"?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

How about selling some as I call "ready-to-boot"?

Post by DoodMann »

Why don't we try selling some USB Sticks that are bootable as same as DVD's? And the money goes to donations! :D
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How about selling some as I call "ready-to-boot"?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Who will manage the logistics, it has to be advertised extensively preferably on the Mint web site.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:57 pm Who will manage the logistics, it has to be advertised extensively preferably on the Mint web site.
Not sure if they still do it but Fedora used to have a special interest group of generous folk that covered all the costs involved and sent out free install media rather than charging for it. The same could be done here if people are willing to buy a case of cheap USB sticks or a cake of DVD and ship them out on request using their country's internal postage system.

Users can still donate to the project if they want to, the low percentage who would end up buying a USB stick instead of writing their own wouldn't really generate much income. It would be more beneficial to issue them free to people who need them and suggest 'please pass it on after using this stick' arrangement.

The bigger question is would Clem want and authorise a designated group of users to do this? Anything like this would have to be run by him and the other Mint developers.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I do not know if Clem authorises this or not, but ready made LM 20 USBS in 64 bit are available from this site listed below...The cost is not unreasonable especially for those that have very slow, limited, or capped internet access where downloading the ISO for themselves may be problematic...ready made USB ISOs do serve a useful purpose...DAMIEN

PS...I wish that this would be available via Linux Mint itself though.

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint-usb.html
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 pm I do not know if Clem authorises this or not, but ready made LM 20 USBS in 64 bit are available from this site listed below...The cost is not unreasonable especially for those that have very slow, limited, or capped internet access where downloading the ISO for themselves may be problematic...ready made USB ISOs do serve a useful purpose...DAMIEN

PS...I wish that this would be available via Linux Mint itself though.

With multiboot all three distros can be put on a single USB stick and they can be booted from it. That's not what the site offers.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:47 pm With multiboot all three distros can be put on a single USB stick and they can be booted from it. That's not what the site offers.
Those are my thoughts too, along with all I've seen so far of the offerings from alternate suppliers.

Why supply a 16 or 32GB stick with just one bootable OS version included?

This reminds me of the cover DVD on a Linux magazine, a few years back, with a copy of Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 32-Bit .. why not offer both 32 and 64-bit editions if there's room on the disk? .. I would likely have bought it if it had had the 64-bit edition, so I'd have a hard copy.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

BG405 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:04 am This reminds me of the cover DVD on a Linux magazine, a few years back, with a copy of Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 32-Bit .. why not offer both 32 and 64-bit editions if there's room on the disk? .. I would likely have bought it if it had had the 64-bit edition, so I'd have a hard copy.
I bought such a Linux magazine with a LinuxMint 17.3 DVD attached to it, some years ago. It was my first introduction to Linux in general and to LinuxMint in particular! I read that LinuxMint magazine back to back several times and I still didnt know what to make of it, although they gave me some helpful tips in installing LinuxMint 17.3. And I guess it was a 64-bit version in my case. But that magazine's guide AND especially the free LinuxMint 17.3 DVD made me dare to take the step of TRYING to install Linux. I ran into some trouble, but when LM18 was released I was able, to download it myself and install it myself. That particular LinuxMint magazine with the free DVD was the essential help that I needed to take the first step into the Linux world.

The well known OSDisc has stopped selling DVD's recently. And before, OSDisc were the go-to-address for people who wanted a hard copy of a Linux installer, but OSDisc mentioned that people started downloading everything and there hard copy business had no reason for existence any longer. Why they havent thought of selling usb sticks, perhaps has the same reason as with the dvd's: most people will download and burn to usb themselves...
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

With multiboot you can pack more than one distro on a USB and boot from each of them.
Regards,
Deepak

Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Not sure if this thought sits with this thread, or could stand alone in its own right, but I'm wondering if the economical implications of Covid-19 will lead to an increase in Linux OS users over the foreseeable future.

Employment down, wages down etc, many people will be looking at ways of cost saving. If it's not feasible to generate revenue through 'ready to boot' USBs, it might turn out that more comes in via donations anyway dependent on take-up. If LM, for example, could further promote itself as an 'easy to install' distro it could strategically prepare for such an outcome. Simplify installation instructions as far as poss, and where possible resolve tech hurdles.

Edit: to give an example, the LM Installation Guide points to this page for disabling Secure Boot: http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... eboot.html

On Microsoft's site we have this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ecure-boot

In my opinion it would be better if LM included instructions within its own documentation, and it could be worded to fit somewhere between both of those examples.

(If 'ready to boot' USBs are feasible, it would be nice to use customised, eg: https://www.brandedmemorysticks.ie/)
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintstant Karma »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 pm ...ready made LM 20 USBS in 64 bit are available from this site listed below...

Yeah, I just discovered them a few weeks ago, and that's what brings me to this thread. Have you used them? Know anything about their service?

I had recently downloaded the Linux Mint 20 ISO myself, and was getting very close to creating the bootable flash drive when my live Linux Mint distro stopped booting. 😣 Damn the timing! Now I'm on my tablet.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there used to be an Semi-Official Web Site,
that you could get LinuxMint & various other Linux Systems,
but that has gone off-line, now.

this Post discusses the various other option, that have replaced that Web Site.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I really wish this thread would die already. Not sure if the vertical spacing is the same for everyone but from the front page it's been visible as "Re: How about selling some as..." for a month now or so and maybe it's just me but my mind each and every time goes somewhere else.
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintstant Karma »

rene wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:03 pm ....visible as "Re: How about selling some as..." for a month now or so and maybe it's just me but my mind each and every time goes somewhere else.
😆😆 We really think outside the box.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Or inside "the box" as would seem more the issue in the particular case.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”