Linux is KING? Yes it is. No it is not.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Linux is KING in the world of computer software for corporations, for internet servers, for smart appliances, for smart phones and even for supercomputers, because a majority of these industries are based on Linux open source software. Linux is "KING" everywhere, everywhere BUT the desktop computers being used by hundreds of millions of personal and commercial users. Those are still being based on proprietary software, be it Microsoft or Apple.

How to gain more international support for open source software for desktop computers? That's my question.

My question (and wish) has a (logical) origin: my very first encounter with Linux was a German computer magazine with a free cdrom with an installation ISO for Linux included. That very German Linux computer magazine had an article included which calculated that my governmnent would spend much LESS money if the government agencies would convert to Linux open source software instead of using Microsoft Windows. The only thing RESTRAINING local government agencies from converting from Microsoft Windows to Linux, was lack of knowledge of the profitability of using Linux instead of Windows.

Knowledge is POWER. Kings have power. But Linux still has no power in the desktop computer world. My question / wish / call for help, is to ask all you forummembers about your ideas how we can promote Linux Open Source INTERNATIONALLY... United we stand stronger!

Is there any ANY international combined support for promoting Linux open source software, which I can join?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux is KING? Yes it is. No it is not.

Post by antikythera »

I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

when it comes to the Desktop - - No it is not.
:(
but - - on lots of dedicated hardware - - Yes it is
:?
like my Satellite TV receiver - - Yes it is . . .

but, on any machine at the local electrical store:
- - nah, that still has the Worlds Most Prolific Virus - - on it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:34 am How to gain more international support for open source software for desktop computers? That's my question.
You should know by now that most people will just read, and reply to, the question asked in the topic title.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Big companies spend a lot of money establishing their brand name in your mind.
The Heinz Baked Beans effect - you don't question it when you're trawling the aisles.

In essence you have to put (and keep) your 'product' in the public consciousness.
These days a lot of that effort is Internet based.

If I Google search for "which operating system should I use" I get results high in the rankings such as this one: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/operating ... e-next-pc/

Read what it says about Linux and imagine you're a non tech savvy person, would you be discouraged?

Linux desktop developers are brilliant at building Operating Systems but, in my opinion anyway, they're not that great on the web side of things, SEO etc.

Personally I'd like to see Linux Mint just push ahead independently. Make 'Mint' the brand name, not 'Linux'.
(Microsoft understands this - e,g. they don't market their consumer OS as NT Windows).

LM needs a new website, and if the right content was included we as a community could be sharing it at every opportunity.
That content could position Mint as an easy choice. Good documentation with easy to read guides etc.
Basically remove any fear factor, encourage curiosity, and provide a natural path for migration to a Linux based OS.

If SEO was focused on it would start to rise in the results against different search terms.

Choose Linux - Choose Mint!

(The rest of the Linux desktop universe could follow our coat tails! My tuppence :)
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:34 am
How to gain more international support for open source software for desktop computers? That's my question.
I think for this you need to come up with a funding system that would allow organizations and people specializing exclusively in the development of free software with open source to have big money :D I think under the current economic system, this is the only available way that Linux can compete with commercial operating systems (wide promotion of software requires of money).I think free software can be made really profitable.Some information for thought: https://www.coindesk.com/35-million-30- ... rave-sells
Perhaps many people will be willing to pay for free software if they have a chance to win something thereafter. (I mean. In monetary terms. As in the case of the lottery) :D

In short, I believe that can get real profit even when trading free software if you give the buyer a small chance to win a large amount of money. Although think gambling is against the ethical principles of the Linux community :D
But with no real profit Linux distributions can hardly compete with commercial operating systems.
Last edited by Vladimir00 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:34 am
The question is whether it will be really good ? Popular things aren't always really good.In some cases, rather the opposite :D
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thank you for all your replies, insights and links to information how to support LInux. It has been really insightful. "MONEY" has been mentioned several times. Money is "a thing". Yes, I agree. But the "thing" is that Linux is cheaper than any other "alternatives". But still Linux is not the chosen path. How come...?

As I said earlier: knowledge is power. When one does not know Linux is beneficial to all, when commercial alternatives are not, then the most promoted software (with money) will be the most likely to be chosen. Money is (allegedly ,pun intended) more powerful than knowledge. In the same German computer magazine that introduced me to Linux, I read that Microsoft has got severe financial penalties for corporations, governments or non profit organisations ( like schools) that breach Microsoft' s contract for using their software for a specific amount of years. As a government or school, one cant just simply stop using Microsoft halfway through. You have got to pay a financial penalty. But even IF corporations, governments or schools would breach Microsoft's contract and decide to use Linux (for free) instead of keep using the much MUCH more expensive Microsoft software, the end result would still be much more profitable using Linux instead of Microsoft for public or even private organisations.

Recently I realised that the very city I live in, (which is the capital and biggest city of my country), still (STILL) relied on Microsoft Internet Explorer to manage all internet related software content. Just for clarity: even Microsoft itself does NOT support Internet Explorer any more! It is a known and publicized safety HAZARD. Nonetheless my very personal data (including the most precious and privacy related data) was managed by my local government, which still relied on Microsoft's dated and insecure Internet Explorer. I got really worried...because... when I TRIED to do my local tax return I got a Firefox security warning that my local government's website was not secure. I immediately called my local government and they said they were aware of the problem, but could not contact any one to fix it. I am not making this up. I was truly flabbergasted. We are talking about the most sensitive tax and personal data here in my capital city (nearly 1 million inhabitants) and my very local government using DATED Microsoft software, told me they could not fix it...

Linux anyone? Any Linux would be better than a dated and insecure version of Internet Explorer!!!
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:22 am
As I said earlier: knowledge is power. When one does not know Linux is beneficial to all, when commercial alternatives are not, then the most promoted software (with money) will be the most likely to be chosen. Money is (allegedly ,pun intended) more powerful than knowledge.
Unfortunately, people who are not particularly interested in computers usually find it difficult to learn even about the existence of Linux. I only found out about this myself about seven years ago. There are many sites on the Internet where you can find out about this. But first you need to know what to look for. People who have never or almost never heard of Linux are unlikely to visit these sites.Good advertising costs money.Linux distributions can't afford good advertising.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

Recently I realised that the very city I live in, (which is the capital and biggest city of my country), still (STILL) relied on Microsoft Internet Explorer to manage all internet related software content. Just for clarity: even Microsoft itself does NOT support Internet Explorer any more! It is a known and publicized safety HAZARD. Nonetheless my very personal data (including the most precious and privacy related data) was managed by my local government, which still relied on Microsoft's dated and insecure Internet Explorer. I got really worried...because... when I TRIED to do my local tax return I got a Firefox security warning that my local government's website was not secure. I immediately called my local government and they said they were aware of the problem, but could not contact any one to fix it. I am not making this up. I was truly flabbergasted. We are talking about the most sensitive tax and personal data here in my capital city (nearly 1 million inhabitants) and my very local government using DATED Microsoft software, told me they could not fix it...
The government is always "very good" take care of the privacy people :D
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

A more fundamental question is whether Linux should even try to compete with the big players on the domestic market. I am not convinced it should. All the time it remains a minority interest it escapes the attention of hackers, cheats, virologists (sic), advertisers, and other forms of low life.
Cliff Coggin
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

Vladimir00 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:37 pm
As I said earlier: knowledge is power. When one does not know Linux is beneficial to all, when commercial alternatives are not, then the most promoted software (with money) will be the most likely to be chosen. Money is (allegedly ,pun intended) more powerful than knowledge.
Unfortunately, people who are not particularly interested in computers usually find it difficult to learn even about the existence of Linux. I only found out about this myself about seven years ago. There are many sites on the Internet where you can find out about this. But first you need to know what to look for. People who have never or almost never heard of Linux are unlikely to visit these sites.Good advertising costs money.Linux distributions can't afford good advertising.
In addition, commercial operating systems seem to specifically pay for anti-Linux propaganda.(I read articles that claim that there are few games in Linux.At the same time, it is not mentioned that most of the games for Windows can be run in Linux. Although it does require some knowledge.Currently have about ten games for Windows installed on my operating system Linux Mint .They all work ok :D )
Last edited by Vladimir00 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:12 pm A more fundamental question is whether Linux should even try to compete with the big players on the domestic market. I am not convinced it should. All the time it remains a minority interest it escapes the attention of hackers, cheats, virologists (sic), advertisers, and other forms of low life.
Maybe you're right. I am also interested in this question.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:34 am Linux is KING? Yes it is. No it is not.
Down with the king for years:

https://youtu.be/RUXpNMMqW1A

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”