Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4

Setting up Linux Stores

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

With how Apple has their own stores, and the electronics section of most retailers will sell computers or tablets with Windows, Android, or iOS pre-installed, I was thinking the best possible way to get Linux into the public consciousness (and to hopefully abolish Big Tech) is to set up a franchise of stores dedicated to Linux. Unfortunately, I don't have the money at the moment to make this idea become a reality, but if anyone reading has the money and a business background to do it themselves, and would be interested in setting up this company sometime in the future (preferably after the global economy gets put back together), I'd love to hear from you.

Here are my ideas for how I can see it operating:
I was thinking of calling it Linux Universe (we can change the name to something else if it's already trademarked)

To keep up with the universe theme ("universe" meaning deep space), the logo would be a picture of deep space with silver lettering in the foreground

Each employee on the sales floor would wear a purple polo shirt with the logo on it, black pants, and black shoes

Each sales rep would be instructed to assist shoppers with showing them various distros and their features. The best way to do this is to have a seating area where the sales rep would show them how to use the distro if the shopper is new to Linux. Because of how many shoppers the sales reps would have to handle, we'd request the shopper's cell phone number so they can be assisted when a sales rep is available.

We'd sell various types of Linux devices, such as phones, laptops, tablets, and desktops, as well as accessories

We'd repair or upgrade devices or computer parts, either in-store or in-home

Instead of buying devices with Windows, MacOS, iOS, or Android pre-installed, changing the OS, and reselling them as Linux devices, we'd buy and resell specially-made Linux devices, or custom-built desktops that would run whatever distro the shopper wants

We'd work with various organizations in the community to teach the locals on how to use Linux, and give presentations on the advantages that distros have over Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android

Have a section of the store dedicated to Linux gaming, encourage shoppers to develop their own games, or learn how to, by including a link on the store's website that would give a list of programs and tutorials they could use, and promote a developer's games

Have a series of commercials (we don't need a well-known voice actor, but it'd be nice to have (reference to one of my previous posts)), billboards, or ads to encourage people to shop in our stores

Have a webpage on the company site dedicated to tips on how to advance your privacy

We'd work with car manufacturers to install distros like Replicant and Ubuntu Touch in their cars. If they have an exclusive partnership with Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc, find other manufacturers or startups.

Those are my thoughts so far. If you have any other suggestions, please share them, and lets get this ball rolling.
Last edited by SpongebobFan1994 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Setting up Linux Stores

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I would be a nice idea to be able to do that but the things going against it right now is financial in nature such as where would the money come from in order to build, stock, merchandise, and staff the stores, and how could it be sustainable in the "Age of Covid 19", whereas so many "Brick and Mortar" operations have been closed with many going out of business all together...A nice idea that in another time and place, in a former reality, I would have liked to see, but alas, may no longer be probable or possible in light of current day realities...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:26 pm
I would be a nice idea to be able to do that but the things going against it right now is financial in nature such as where would the money come from in order to build, stock, merchandise, and staff the stores, and how could it be sustainable in the "Age of Covid 19", whereas so many "Brick and Mortar" operations have been closed with many going out of business all together...A nice idea that in another time and place, in a former reality, I would have liked to see, but alas, may no longer be probable or possible in light of current day realities...DAMIEN
The economy is a like a phoenix. It's flame eventually burns out, but it will always be reborn.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/2129 ... ities-open

https://www.apple.com/store-opening-letter/

With Microsoft permanently closing their stores and Apple constantly closing and re-closing its stores and re-evaluating which ones will actually remain viable in the future,

All i can say...if the big boys with the deep pockets cant do it...how can Linux do so ???
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/2129 ... ities-open

https://www.apple.com/store-opening-letter/

With Microsoft permanently closing their stores and Apple constantly closing and re-closing its stores and re-evaluating which ones will actually remain viable in the future,

All i can say...if the big boys with the deep pockets cant do it...how can Linux do so ???
Every time there's an economic collapse, people and companies are forced to adapt so they can survive. While that's no doubt difficult, it makes them more resilient to the next economic collapse. I'm not saying that Microsoft and Apple's retail presence won't come back from the grave (I personally would like that to stay dead so it gives them less of a leg to stand on), but you'll always see the economy booming again eventually and in a somewhat different, or drastically different, way. While I can't guarantee that Linux will get it's foot in the door more successfully after the economy booms again, it's possible that the Linux community can use Microsoft and Apple's reduced retail presence to it's advantage.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

It would be nice. But hardly feasible in the near future.
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4

Vladimir00 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:44 pm
For the next 3-5 years, most-likely. If the economy improves after that, I'd say go for it.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:37 pm
Vladimir00 wrote:
For the next 3-5 years, most-likely. If the economy improves after that, I'd say go for it.
I doubt it will be possible in the next 3-5 years. Although who knows what will happen in the next few years :D
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4

Vladimir00 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 pm
SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:37 pm
Vladimir00 wrote:
I doubt it will be possible in the next 3-5 years. Although who knows what will happen in the next few years :D
The US economy should be able to bounce back after that. I don't how other countries economies will function after that though.

Return to “Promotion”