How do you promote Mint?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Jim643

Re: How do you promote Mint?

Post by Jim643 »

I've been boring and humoring co-workers with stories of Linux Mint and made a short video in my non-stop effort to get them to at least look at it once. Today I added it to my blog http://jimamidon.com/blog/2016/01/22/li ... by-a-noob/ and connected with another noobie via youtube. On Facebook the past 6 months or so I've been dropping in links with lil blogs about Linux, Ubuntu at first. They will sit for weeks and weeks, then surprise me with a single person hitting thumbs up.

My gratitude to all of you who created this distro and work on OpenSource projects in general. I've been using your tools and bragging on you for a long time now yet people still consider me naive for believing you all are out here doing this for fun.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I bleached the Mint logo into some t-shirts :D
linuxmint1.jpg
linuxmint2.jpg

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Explaing what it is, what it can do and especially what it can not do.

This afternoon I installed Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce on my neighbours computer. She hadn't see it before but she completely trusted me.
Windows XP Pro is also on her computer, so if she wants something and she can't do it in Mint she has a fallback option, allthough I'm pretty shure she'll never boot windows again :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yesterday we had a young woman visit in our local hackerspace, she was interested in Linux but her boyfriend had shown her Ubuntu and it didn't really give her confidence. So we booted her laptop in Mint Cinnamon from a USBstick, and she liked it! She asked me, can I put the 'taskbar' vertically on the left side of the screen? I said yes, you can, just not in this version. Use the Mate version and you'll be able to do that easily.
I wouldn't be surprised if she'll be dual booting Mint Mate within a week.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Aaaaaand just now, I showed Mint to another friend who had some Win and BSD experience, and was looking for a Linux distro because of very specific networking needs. He took to Mint like a duck to water, immediately finding his way in both the GUI and the terminal. He's bringing his own laptop on Friday and we'll do an install. :mrgreen:

sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

I put this on my Facebook Account's Featured Photos. I'm not sure about the licenses in using the assets, but I'll take them down if ever I'm violating them.
Noooo.jpg
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Yesterday we had a young woman visit in our local hackerspace, she was interested in Linux but her boyfriend had shown her Ubuntu and it didn't really give her confidence. So we booted her laptop in Mint Cinnamon from a USB stick, and she liked it! She asked me, can I put the 'taskbar' vertically on the left side of the screen? I said yes, you can, just not in this version. Use the Mate version and you'll be able to do that easily.

I wouldn't be surprised if she'll be dual booting Mint Mate within a week.
Moem, you rock!

With few exceptions, all of my co-workers and friends think of something like this whenever I say "personal computer." They work on computers every day but have no knowledge about file, folder, and shortcut management. When I say, "It's easy," they reply, "It's easy for YOU." What a bunch of idiots. It's easy for anyone. If you don't understand the difference between a file, a folder, and a shortcut, then why are you in a job that uses personal computers? They will NOT take the time to learn anything. Having to re-train them over and over to do the simplest tasks is worse than frustrating. I think they'll have a coronary if I ever say "linux."
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TooMuchTime wrote:Moem, you rock!
Thank you kindly! I have my moments. 8)

I do believe that Mint 'sells' itself. But in order for that to happen, people still need to know that it exists. So my goal is to inform, rather than to convince.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”