Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please
mascondante
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint on Android Tablet

Post by mascondante » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:52 pm

I would like to see an arm version myself. At the very least, the cinnamon desktop ported to ARM would be awesome.
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sunewbie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:29 am

mascondante wrote:I would like to see an arm version myself. At the very least, the cinnamon desktop ported to ARM would be awesome.
Why was gnome3-shell forked ??? :mrgreen:
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:55 am

There is no reason why you can't compile Cinnamon on your Linux ARM system. No binary packages are provided as far as I know, but compiling would be possible.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

sarahr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sarahr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:26 am

Is anybody here actually doing it?

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Hey guys & gals, before you go off half-cocked, take a look at the specific architectures (there are multiple ARM target CPUs alone) and peripherals supported on tablets!! Android has to be ported by the manufacturers of each device! You can't go to Google, grab stock Android 4.1, say, and put it on your Android 2.3 phone, it doesn't work!!! You need specific device drivers, and the drivers have to be updated as well. Yes, they did port Linux to the Raspberry Pi, but there were literally thousands of people asking for it and hundreds of contributing developers, and it still took about 9 months from the release of the first RPi to get to the present Raspbian! (or Arch) and that was starting with a version of the Linux kernel and userland which was already written for the ARM processor core.

Ubuntu is going to try to get 12.04 on the Google Nexus tablet. That is a specific processor, specific peripherals, and a fairly large user audience. And you notice no Ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04 is mentioned. They hope to get it working prior to 14.04, is all. ARM versions aren't released every six months for ANYONE.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 am

Well, it doesn't really matter what distro version or ARM target you have exactly - if you get Linux running on it, it must be possible to get Cinnamon too if you have working 3D acceleration. Tutorials like https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/wiki/Building or http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955 should work on any recent Ubuntu or Debian-based system.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

blackest_knight
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackest_knight » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Very interesting post :)
I have ubuntu running on my archos g9 and mint on my netbook.
http://www.necopost.com/2012/06/how-to- ... me-os.html
This is pretty interesting I followed this page and kind of got a chrome-os working on my netbook with a gnome panel giving me most of the access i have in cinnamon desktop. It could be kind of cool to do the same for my G9.

The only drawback was a few missing panel items such as wifi but i think i was loading the wrong panels

Return to “Promotion”