Channels: #linuxmint-help, #linuxmint-chat, #pimpmymint
We want the Linux Mint IRC channels to be a pleasing experience for as many people as possible. It should be a safe space for everybody, regardless of age or gender. We can't achieve that alone; each of us contributes to the tone on the channels. Thank you for helping to keep the channels a pleasant and comfortable place to be.
Whether it's to chat or to find help, people should feel welcome and comfortable on the Linux Mint IRC channels. For that reason the channels have rules.
In short: be civil.
The following is forbidden:
- Purposefully insulting (e.g., swearing at them) or harassing people
- Any discrimination against people based on race, gender or any other self-identifiable group
- Any casual or deliberate sexism
- Disclosing personal information about another person
- Abusing CAPS
- Advertisements, illegal material (e.g., piracy and malicious hacking), pornography, or anything NSFW (not safe for work)
- Arguing with the moderators in the channel
- Anything else that makes using the channels hard, impossible or annoying for the majority of people
2. Guidelines to getting support
Use a civil tone and assume good faith when entering a conversation. Speak plainly and clearly. All languages are welcome! (Though use English if you can, as you'll find more users able to help you.)
Before asking a question in the support channel please do the following:
- search for a solution, both on the Linux Mint forums and on the Internet;
- if the problem is with a specific application, check if that has it's own support channels.
Do not direct questions to a specific user unless they have already begun to help you.
Use http://dpaste.com or another paste service for messages longer than a couple of lines. Flooding will result in the channel bot temporarily silencing you.
3. Consequences of breaking the rules
If somebody breaks the rules they can be warned. If somebody breaks the rules again they can be kicked (removed from the channel but they can rejoin immediately) and/or temporarily banned (they can't speak in the channel or rejoin the channel if they leave it). They can be kicked and/or banned without a warning:
- if the violation of the rules is severe (for example, multiple strong and deliberate insults);
- if they were kicked and/or banned for the same thing multiple times before and the violation of the rules is more than minor.
If you were kicked and/or banned by a moderator and do not understand why, ask the moderator about the reason in private message. Do not ask such questions in public message, they will be ignored without further discussion. If you think that you were banned by mistake, wait until it ends. Rare mistakes are inevitable in any kind of work. A default ban lasts one day.
If you were kicked and/or banned multiple times then obviously something is wrong with your behavior in the channels. If you do not understand what is wrong, ask the moderator who kicked and/or banned you. If their explanation does not satisfy you, you can contact the administrators at firstname.lastname@example.org (include logs and other pertinent information). The administrators will take an appropriate action.