Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Inoki
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Create a share on the network

Post by Inoki »

Hi guys,

first of, thank you for this excellent release! This is exactly how an operating system should work! Light & fast!

Now to my question,

how can I set up a network share, i.e. if I want to share a drive / folder from my desktop PC running Mint 10 LXDE so the files can be accessed via wireless over the same network with my laptop?

(I've made a similar thread regarding this but that is related to Gnome and LXDE runs PCMan not Nautilus as file manager. I know there I had to install Samba and Nautilus-share from the repos, but here I'm consfused.)
Last edited by Inoki on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Create a share on the network

Post by richyrich »

Try installing Gigolo from the Package Manager, many pcman users swear by it, and I recommend that the View->Side Panel be enabled.

Quote by cavalier911, post # 5 from the source link below :
Gigolo/pcmanfm connect a.k.a. mount the share not the server.
Open pcmanfm,menu:Go/Network Drives,Dbl click the Windows Network icon on Right pane(Ignore the server icons),Dbl click the workgroup named folder,dbl click the share name folder. If your share is password protected it will ask you for the password before access. Gigolo does the same thing with a slightly different gui and relies on pcmanfm to display share contents.Set the view as Detailed list,there are rt click menu's and buttons to connect,bookmark shared folders.It does have the advantage of the refresh networks button. You may have to reboot and start lubuntu after your windows box offering the shares before it will see them without Gigolo refresh.
Mount location is ~/.gvfs
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1658101

luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

richyrich wrote:Try installing Gigolo from the Package Manager, many pcman users swear by it, and I recommend that the View->Side Panel be enabled.

Quote by cavalier911, post # 5 from the source link below :
Gigolo/pcmanfm connect a.k.a. mount the share not the server.
Open pcmanfm,menu:Go/Network Drives,Dbl click the Windows Network icon on Right pane(Ignore the server icons),Dbl click the workgroup named folder,dbl click the share name folder. If your share is password protected it will ask you for the password before access. Gigolo does the same thing with a slightly different gui and relies on pcmanfm to display share contents.Set the view as Detailed list,there are rt click menu's and buttons to connect,bookmark shared folders.It does have the advantage of the refresh networks button. You may have to reboot and start lubuntu after your windows box offering the shares before it will see them without Gigolo refresh.
Mount location is ~/.gvfs
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1658101

Very nice.

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

As I understand the original post the requirement is to create a share on LXDE for others in the network to access. Gigolo is used to connect to someone else's share.

There is no nautilus-share / thunar-shares-plugin equivalent in LXDE that I know of so you are going to have to go "old school" and create Classic Samba shares.

Install the following packages:

Code: Select all

system-config-samba
samba-common-bin
If you run into problems after you create the share post the output of the following command to aid in the diagnosis:

testparm -s
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Inoki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inoki »

The thing with Gigolo didn't work.

I'm trying now Altair's suggestion, so far installed what's necessary and posting the result of testparm -s:

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
To explain a bit more:

I've got the desktop PC (LXDE) on which I want to make a certain folder / drive accessible to my laptop (Gnome), which is on the same network via wireless, so I can transfer files from and to the desktop.

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't use LXDE so I'm going to have to start this in a Terminal:

gksu system-config-samba
You'll get a GUI that looks like this:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (17.29 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Then select the "+" sign to add a share - mark it "Visible" and "Writable"
On the "Access" tab select "Allow access to everyone"

That should create a guest accessible share.

But you'll need to do one more thing that nautilus-share does automatically but system-config-samba does not. You'll need to modify the permissions of the shared directory:

sudo chmod 0777 /path/to/shared/directory
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

How about the shared folders app in the preference menu.

Inoki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inoki »

Thanks Altair, it worked :)

Return to “Others”