LXDE not as smoothe an install as Linux Mint Debian

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mfs2
Level 1
Level 1

LXDE not as smoothe an install as Linux Mint Debian

Postby mfs2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Recently bought a refurbished HP pavilion slimline s5000 series. It came with Windows 7 and it sets up when first started. I have two computers with Linux Mint Debian Edition but this computer is for my spouse and I wanted to put Linux Mint 12 LXDE on it thinking it would be a bit smoother and require less updating and etc. I made a usb stick with LXDE for the install. It did not go well.

Grub did not install and I was unable to install it or to update it. Tried to fix that by re-installing LXDE and that did not work either. It created another partition and conducted a complete install on that new partition. I then had two installations of LXDE and one of Windows 7 on the same hard drive. I finally decided to just stick with Linux Mint Debian and made a new cd for that. And that worked like a charm.

I sort of feel like LXDE needs a bit more testing and work.

mccfrank
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LXDE not as smoothe an install as Linux Mint Debian

Postby mccfrank » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 pm

The only problem I had installing LXDE was after the installation was complete ....the system just stuck there after ejecting the CD and I had to hit the reset button. But everything came up normally, with LXDE at the top of course of the GRUB menu :)

Still can't figure out why the icon for midnight commander doesn't work after I put it on the desktop...I checked and terminal=true...but clicking or dble-clicking on it does nothing :roll:

Looks like a nice distro.

Return to “Others”