After update, mint fails to recognize TV as display

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Liquid Divide
Level 1
Level 1

After update, mint fails to recognize TV as display

Postby Liquid Divide » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 am

I updated my computer some time last week, and since then, the computer will not display on my TV. I updated via

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

It won't even reach the post screen, actually, which is weird. I can sometimes get it to work (by work, I mean output to the display) if I plug the computer into a different TV and then plug it into the TV in question. But in this "working" state, there is no monitor displayed in the display settings dialog. Also, launching certain programs causes an SDL error of no display detected.

I've tried the same HDMI port with other devices (DVD Player, cable box, and Xbox 360) and all the other devices work.

I don't understand why this would have happened. I feel like it's related to the update... yet not even seeing the post screen or anything else doesn't make sense for that scenario either. Any Ideas?

GPU = EVGA Nvidia GT 710 2gb
TV = Vizio E40-C3

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Re: After update, mint fails to recognize TV as display

Postby rene » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am

If it doesn't "reach the post screen" from a cold boot it can with near-certainty be stated to not be caused by the upgrade; if it's only after a reboot, your video hardware could be left in bad/incoherent state by Linux, confusing the BIOS on reboot. So, does this happen on cold boot? I.e., from off-state, not from reboot, nor suspend/hibernate, and preferably with the power cord having been unplugged for a minute or so?

If so I'd stop looking at software. If no I'd first of all try booting with a/the previous kernel if the kernel is what got upgraded. It/they will be available from Grub's "Advanced options" menu unless you explicitly uninstalled it/them.

[EDIT] By the way, after said unplugging of the power cord to your computer you may want to do the same with the one for the TV. Then replug and switch on the TV before doing same to the computer.

Liquid Divide
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Liquid Divide » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks. I did try a cold boot after unplugging the computer this morning. I did a factory reset on the tv yesterday, so I left it plugged in for now. Turning the computer on displayed the BIOS post screen and everything seemed to be working normally after that.

I just tested it quickly before heading out the door for work. Is there more I need to do or has it sorted itself out now with the cold boot?

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rene » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm

It has very likely sorted itself. Your videocard likely got confused as to current state of the link, with cold booting forcing it to dismiss wrong assumptions. Not much you can do about it reoccurring but as long as it's fine, it's fine.

Return to “Other topics”