Chromium reboots mint18.2 laptop

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Naaarts
Level 1
Level 1

Chromium reboots mint18.2 laptop

Postby Naaarts » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi All,

Hardware 10 year old Sony Vaio VGN FZ11E with 2 GB RAM
Application: Chromium browser.

Problem: I have been using Linux Mint Xfce for 5 years on this laptop starting with version 15.
And I really love it.
However recently when browsing with Chromium my laptop freezes and then reboots every few minutes (every 5 to 10 minutes)

I tried all different NVidia and open source drivers that come with the package but without any success.
I thought my hardware was probably too old so I was thinking of buying a new laptop (allthough it was still very fast and responsive with mint Xfce 18.2)

Then I finally found the suggestion to switch off "hardware acceleration" in the Chromium browser.
And this indeed solved the crashing and reboot of my old Sony Vaio with mint 18.2 Xfce.

I do repost this because this bug is very annoying and could force people to buy new hardware while there is a simple work-around.
And I really think it should not be possible for Chromium to crash and reboot my mint xfce laptop.

Hope this prevents people from dumping older hardware!

N. Aarts

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Chromium reboots mint18.2 laptop

Postby Hoser Rob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm

It's not actually a bug. They aren't willing to put the resources into making hardware accel work across so many distros and APIs with xorg. Firefox is the same. It doesn't always have such dire effects as what you experienced but you should always turn hardware acceleration off in you browser anyway.

Naaarts
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Naaarts » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your answer.
What worries me is that a hidden option like Chromium "hardware acceleration" made my laptop completely worthless due to the frequent reboots while browsing.
It brought me way back to the old Windows days. Such a bad experience...

And I was at the point of buying a new laptop.
Now with hardware acceleration switched off my 10 year old Vaio is perfectly fitted for the job, mainly streaming HiFi music to my USB DAC using Audacious.

I hope that re-opening the discussion creates more awareness about the fact that the option "hardware acceleration" can completely damage the image of a great and stable Linux Mint environment. And that would be a shame!

Best regards,
NicoA

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Naaarts wrote:... I hope that re-opening the discussion creates more awareness about the fact that the option "hardware acceleration" can completely damage the image of a great and stable Linux Mint environment....

Sorry, but that's completely backward.

Having to turn off hardware accel has nothing to do with Mint in itself. It affects every Linux distro.

3D hardware accelerated video is pretty essential and mundane. It should work. But it's so buggy in Linux that the devs of Chrome (and Firefox etc) just threw up their hands and stopped supporting it.

This is not Google's or Mozilla's fault. It's Linux. Just frakking fix xorg already or replace it with something reliable.

Return to “Other topics”