Phantom Updates [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Shaolin12
Level 1
Level 1

Phantom Updates [SOLVED]

Postby Shaolin12 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 am

Ok this seems wrong to me, I use LM18.1 64bit with Cinnamon Desktop, and it is always (since release) has been updating files I do not have installed or in the caches (I set to purge the caches after installation of packages).

As an example, today I got an update for apparmor. Now I had installed apparmor as part of another program, but do not think it is part of the default LM install, so I removed it, then purged it from my system.

LM update still wants to update it! It is not set in Synaptic as 'always installed', and I have noticed that the update manager has installed many updates for many packages I do NOT have installed either.

If I now go and select to update the non-installed apparmour, despite it having been purged with apt, it will still install over the old 'removed' version as if it is still there, and still afterwards show in synaptic that it hasn't been installed.

What is going on? this seems almost like I have a secret installation of something, particularly as I can't find any of the files that have been updated unless they are actually installed already.

Does anyone have an idea as to why I seem to be having phantom Updates? I ask because I am finding LM18.1 to be incredibly aggravating with error after error, non-functioning this and that, random errors from start up to shutdown, I thought LMDE was a bad experience for me, but LM18.1 has been a constant source of aggravation with hardly a day going by without some glitch or non-functionality, or just plain weirdness. I haven't had these kinds of problems since the early days of Ubuntu (Maverick Meerkat, Lucid Linx. In fact the BEST distro I have ever used was LM12, everything just worked for me, change the theme...no problem, install V-desk for moving wallpaper...no problem, decide to have custom this and that to really personalize my Os....no problem.

These days it is one problem after another. I barely get a days usage without something reminding me that things on this LM18.1 OS are not running as well as they could be. (It is NOT my hardware, checked all of that already).

I don't want to be a hater, but I am seriously starting to think that everything these days has been compromised just to add to the general crap we are all facing. If it is not that, then it may well be a sign of the horrific pressures everyone is being put under...yes and probably I'm not helping, but what can I do? I am stuck wondering why things that I used to be able to use with joy, are now seriously messing with my peace?

Before I conclude that LM is going the same way as other mainstream OSes from the likes of MS/Apple/Google, could someone please step in, recommend a chill-pill and maybe help me work out why my system is so weird? (or me...either will work).
Last edited by Shaolin12 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Phantom Updates

Postby WharfRat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am

I can't speak to all of your errors, but as far as the apparmour update goes systemd depends on libapparmor1.

Code: Select all

[bill@XPS] ~ $ aptitude  why libapparmor1
i   systemd Depends libapparmor1 (>= 2.9.0-3+exp2)
[bill@XPS] ~ $

That package is already installed due to that dependency.

[bill@XPS] ~ $ dpkg -l|grep apparm
ii  libapparmor1:amd64                                          2.10.95-0ubuntu2.6                           amd64        changehat AppArmor library
[bill@XPS] ~ $

[bill@XPS] ~ $ apt-cache depends systemd|grep libapparmor1
  Depends: libapparmor1
[bill@XPS] ~ $

Although the update manager shows aparmor, the only update will be to libapparmor1

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libapparmor1
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 31.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 libapparmor1 amd64 2.10.95-0ubuntu2.7 [31.2 kB]
Fetched 31.2 kB in 0s (104 kB/s)     
(Reading database ... 242230 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libapparmor1_2.10.95-0ubuntu2.7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libapparmor1:amd64 (2.10.95-0ubuntu2.7) over (2.10.95-0ubuntu2.6) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu9) ...
Setting up libapparmor1:amd64 (2.10.95-0ubuntu2.7) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu9) ...
[bill@XPS] ~ $

So it seems like the update manager's description is a little deceiving, but there's no phantom updates.
Image ImageImage

Shaolin12
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Phantom Updates [SOLVED]

Postby Shaolin12 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you for the explanation WharfRat, I checked and I do have libapparmor1 installed, it was apparmor itself that was installed with another ubuntu app I was trying out (forgotten which one presently) which I deliberately uninstalled first, then refreshed the update manager which still displayed 'apparmor', and hence this post for help.

You are quite right, I was a little misled, I get the same with packages for chromium but I don't have it installed, though I am running an electron app which with your explanation now makes sense. It was disconcerting though as over the months, particularly when I've had updates for networking related components, there were packages which I don't have installed, and yet it appeared they were getting updated too.

Now I know that the main package is listed even if it is a sub-package, I can stop worrying. Living close to a doughnut-shaped building can also make one a bit more WTF-prone. :)

Thank you for your quick response, and clear explanation.

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Phantom Updates [SOLVED]

Postby richyrich » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Suggestion: Click on the particular update, then at the bottom of the window you will see the actual file names being updated . . and read the description.

The Chromium update is most likely chromium-codecs-ffmpg-extra (used for video in all browsers) . . and I too agree with you, the maintainers/developers could do a much better job of the update names, and also do a better job clarifying it in the descriptions.

Return to “Other topics”