Typing French Characters

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lewahsby
Level 1
Level 1

Typing French Characters

Post by lewahsby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm learning French and I need some help typing French characters. First off what I don't want is a solution that would require me to copy/past, drag/drop, or select a special character from a list somewhere, that is not a feasible solution, I need to be able to type on the fly. I currently use Linux Mint Cinnamon and I have been trying to select the correct keyboard layout from the "Keyboard Settings" -> "Keyboard" -> "Layout" menu. I have tried many variations of English that allow special characters via typin ' on my keyboard before the desire letter, but it's only helpful for typing in Spanish accents, not French accents. Selecting a French keyboard is going too far as it messes up my keyboard layout completely, I need something like the English (US International) layout but for the French accents instead of the Spanish accents. Any idea which layout is correct? Is there not a way to create a custom layout? Thanks.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Typing French Characters

Post by catweazel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:09 pm

lewahsby wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm
I need something like the English (US International) layout but for the French accents instead of the Spanish accents. Any idea which layout is correct? Is there not a way to create a custom layout? Thanks.
French Accents Alt Codes Keyboard Shortcuts. Also see this. I think you need to use a layout named "English (international with Alt Gr dead keys)".

Addendum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key ... ernational

Last edited by catweazel on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 pm

I use the Compose Key method on Mint Cinnamon 17.3; I would guess it's much the same on Mint 18.x. In the Menu, click Preferences, Keyboard, Layout, then choose your Compose key. I use the left Win key. To use it, you hit the Win key (or whatever Compose key you have chosen), then use key combinations to generate the letters you want. There are a number of charts online that tell you how to make various characters, but there should also be one on your computer at /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:03 am

Here's a recent thread started because someone needed a way to make a degree symbol - there are several ideas in there for special characters, maybe one will meet your needs.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265878
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

lewahsby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lewahsby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:09 am

jimallyn wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 pm
I use the Compose Key method on Mint Cinnamon 17.3; I would guess it's much the same on Mint 18.x. In the Menu, click Preferences, Keyboard, Layout, then choose your Compose key. I use the left Win key. To use it, you hit the Win key (or whatever Compose key you have chosen), then use key combinations to generate the letters you want. There are a number of charts online that tell you how to make various characters, but there should also be one on your computer at /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.
I didn't see a compose key. If I do see it what does it do? Is there a way to create a custom layout? Thanks.
Image attached.

What I need àèioù, & ç

English (US) aeiou, & c

English (international AltGr dead keys) áéióú, & © ← done with right alt

English (UK, international with dead keys) áéíóú, & ć ←done with ‘ before letter
Attachments
keyboard_layout.jpg

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:08 am

lewahsby wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:09 am
I didn't see a compose key.
Oops. I left out a step. At the bottom of that window, click Options. You will then be able to choose which key you want to use as your Compose key. Once you have done that, you just press your chosen Compose key, then press two more keys that will generate the character you want. I don't have that set up on the computer I am sitting in front of at the moment, but a lot of the key sequences are pretty intuitive. Press and release your Compose key, then press and release the | key then press and release the c key, and that will generate the cents character. Or press and release the Compose key, then the ~ key, then the n key, and you'll get that n with a squiggly line over it character.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lewahsby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lewahsby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:09 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:08 am
lewahsby wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:09 am
I didn't see a compose key.
Oops. I left out a step. At the bottom of that window, click Options. You will then be able to choose which key you want to use as your Compose key. Once you have done that, you just press your chosen Compose key, then press two more keys that will generate the character you want. I don't have that set up on the computer I am sitting in front of at the moment, but a lot of the key sequences are pretty intuitive. Press and release your Compose key, then press and release the | key then press and release the c key, and that will generate the cents character. Or press and release the Compose key, then the ~ key, then the n key, and you'll get that n with a squiggly line over it character.
I was finally able to get the French ç character with the little tail at the bottom using your method but unfortunately non of the keyboards seem to have the French accents for the vowels, thay all seem to be geared towards Spanish and maybe Italian, I don't know. All the keyboards have accents for the vowels going from bottom left to top right where as most French vowel accents go from bottom right to top left. Why these keyboards offer the French C 'ç' without the French vowel accents I don't understand. Thanks for your help, I got one character at least. Does anyone know if there is a way to create or map a custom keyboard layout? Thanks.

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:25 pm

OK, by "bottom right to top left" I assume you mean like these:

ù è à ì ò

Is that what you're after? To get those use Compose, `, a, for example. The ` is the back tick character. On my keyboard it's the left most key in the row that has the numbers. Any other characters you need? If you can copy/paste them in from somewhere, or describe them, I can probably tell you how to create them. As far as I know pretty much any character can be made using the Compose key method.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Post by kyphi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Compose key, comma, c = ç
Compose key, single quote, e = é
Compose key, double quote, e = ë
Compose key, grave (under ~), e = è
Compose key, circonflexe (top of 6), e = ê
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

Return to “Other topics”