Uninstall Linux Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Connor96

Uninstall Linux Mint?

Post by Connor96 »

Hello,
can somebody please tell me what commands do I need to use to uninstall Linux mint(HOW TO DO IT). It's a single boot on my computer ( not dual). I was really trying to find something online... But no progress. :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Uninstall Linux Mint?

Post by Moem »

You don't uninstall an OS; you generally install a different OS over it, and that overwrites it. Another option is to start the machine from a bootable USB stick or DVD and use a suitable tool to format and delete all partitions. GParted would work.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

Okay, and how can I do that? Install Windows over Linux?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, how do you normally install Windows? As I seem to remember (it's years and years ago), you'd need a bootable CD with Windows on it and a license number.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi connor96...this is the first time ive heard someone wanting to remove an operating system from a single boot system...could you let us know what it is that your trying to do with it? are you trying to put another linux system on it for instance or trying to just erase it to give it away, to junk it or whatever...there are ways of just erasing the hard drive completely but it would be best to know your intentions with it to be able to give you the best options for you...DAMIEN
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Regardless of which OS you are looking to blow away, provided you are not hoping to retain access to anything on the drive, the safest method I use is to boot from the device with the OS you are looking to replace with. During the process there will be an option to delete old OS partitions, DO that, and let the process complete, and all should be well. (If you need more detail, that can be supplied.)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

I have a bootable USB with Windows 10, and I want to install it. And that means removing Linux mint. I just don't know how to do that. Can someone guide me?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

just boot with the Windows 10 USB... plug it in and restart your computer
it starts an installer that gives options to format the whole drive or part... just follow the instructions.
IF you format and reuse the Linux Partition(s) then it is gone "uninstalled"

the process takes hours and your computer will automatically reboot many times.
you don't need a product key, just select "skip" or "do it later" when asked
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

I know for old fashion way. I restart my laptop, pressed f12, and I choosed boot from a usb.. But nothing happens. So I thought that in this OS that way doesn't work? Can I do that all from Command Prompt ? And if I can, how can I do it? I just need to find a way to run this bootable usb and i don't know how to do it.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

NO - you can't do that all from Command Prompt !

you should be able to restart that laptop, pressed f12, and then choosed boot from a usb. ..
- what happens at this point ? does it just boot the LinuxMint on the HDD ?
or do you get a Black Screen ? something else ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

This on pic happens and after that linux boot itself from HD.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Connor96 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:14 am This on pic happens and after that linux boot itself from HD.
Your BIOS is misconfigured. Turn off PXE.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

Okay how can i turn off that? I went to bios and i found a option when i can set lan - reltek PXE BO0 DOO as priority for booting but nothing else which is common with PXE...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Connor96 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:44 am Okay how can i turn off that? I went to bios and i found a option when i can set lan - reltek PXE BO0 DOO as priority for booting but nothing else which is common with PXE...
Give priority to USB then HDD.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

Okay, so I set all of those things in bios.. And now i can see black screen for a few seconds after boot and then linux mint start to loading..... :roll: :?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

will it keep loading, until you get a Working Desktop ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

Yup, basically it enters the linux mint. Why dosen't boot for a usb? Im going crazy with this. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Connor96 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:59 am Why dosen't boot for a usb?
Probably because the USB flash drive is not bootable.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

First post on the Mint site asking how to install Windows? This isn't a Mint support question.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

MintBean wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 pm First post on the Mint site asking how to install Windows? This isn't a Mint support question.
I beg to differ. It is a common problem. Not everyone wants what you do...

first post? BFD
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download

Return to “Other topics”