Linux Mint in Mac and Windows costume

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint in Mac and Windows costume

Post by majpooper »

With nothing better to do and reading a few post about making LM look like Windows or even Mac I decided to play on VirtualBox. It is relatively easy to do - just a few downloads and a few settings, you can even make the menu ala Windows. It's all cosmetic though. Not having touched Windows in 10 years and never having any experience with Mac I am not sure that after the "look" if the "feel" would be anything resembling a Mac or Windows system - they still sure felt like good old Mint Cinnamon to me. It was a fun way to spend a covid19 lock-down day even though I would never put anything like this on my bare metal but if one is so inclined . . . . why not?

jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint in Mac and Windows costume

Post by jp14 »

that windows desktop is goddamn ugly man :mrgreen: i so regret clicking on this topic :twisted:
LM 19.3 Xfce

Cause I like things neat and simple

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

jp14 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm
that windows desktop is goddamn ugly man :mrgreen: i so regret clicking on this topic :twisted:
Yeah - I did Windows 7 because that was the last Windows I used . . . definitely ugly. Mac has some nice icons though but really cool icons are available all over the place if you feel the need to customize your Mint icons.

Hope I didn't traumatize you too much . . . I can imagine someone who had all kinds of issues and frustrations with Windows finally gets free and is running linux and sees that nightmare from the past looking back at them on their monitor.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

jp14 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Attractive desktops like beauty I suppose are "in the eye of the beholder." I like clean and uncluttered. What I love a about Mint is I can customize it to my hearts content. I do get rid of the Lock Screen/Lockout/Shutdown buttons in the menu and make my own separate Restart(reboot) and Shutdown(poweroff) buttons change themes and icons and a host of other tweaks to personalize Mint to my liking.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

majpooper wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Attractive desktops like beauty I suppose are "in the eye of the beerholder."
Fixed that for you mate! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

majpooper wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm
It is relatively easy to do - just a few downloads and a few settings, you can even make the menu ala Windows.
But HOW did you do it? I, for one, definitely thinks Windows looks better than LinuxMint. Windows looks the part, but I LOVE LinuxMint. But looks are important. For my girlfriend her computer only changes when there is a new background picture. When her background picture changes, THEN she suddenly gets worried. So I install new LinuxMint distributions on her old laptop, but with the exact same Windows7 desktop background picture.

So, majpooper I am interested in what you have changed to make it look like Windows. SOME people ( my girlfriend) only need to see the same outer surface to be reassured that everything is honkydory... :)

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 am
This may be it.
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/mak ... -windows-7
Yep that is one site - and a good one - if you are looking to make Mint look like Win 7
carum carvi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am
majpooper wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm
It is relatively easy to do - just a few downloads and a few settings, you can even make the menu ala Windows.
But HOW did you do it? I, for one, definitely thinks Windows looks better than LinuxMint. Windows looks the part, but I LOVE LinuxMint. But looks are important. For my girlfriend her computer only changes when there is a new background picture. When her background picture changes, THEN she suddenly gets worried. So I install new LinuxMint distributions on her old laptop, but with the exact same Windows7 desktop background picture.

So, majpooper I am interested in what you have changed to make it look like Windows. SOME people ( my girlfriend) only need to see the same outer surface to be reassured that everything is honkydory... :)

Here is a site HOW TO to make linux look like Windows 10 which uses B00merang
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-linu ... e-windows/
I like the B00merang web site - just so you are aware the stuff you download to make these changes are NOT in the linux Mint repositories or sanctioned by the linux Mint team. So it is up to you if you trust these sites. Anyway all you have to do is create .icons and .themes folders in /home/your_user_name and then download the themes and icons that you want. There are lots of choices from Win 3.11 to different versions of Windows 10 and even Mac-OS and B00merang makes a couple of their own custom versions.
Move the downloaded themes and icons in the respective folders you made in /home/your_user_name and then simply go to system-settings>Themes and pick the ones you like. In my case my Windows borders are Windows 7, my icons are Mac-OS-Cheetah and my desktop is B00merang-Glass.
https://b00merang.weebly.com/themes.html

Return to “Other topics”