URL shortcut opens with media player

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stoffel
Level 1
Level 1

URL shortcut opens with media player

Post by stoffel »

I often use URL shortcuts to save links to visited web pages. Therefore I drag the icon from the address bar of the web browser to the desktop or a directory. But when I double click this shortcut, xplayer opens and gives an error, of course, that the module "text/html decoder" is not installed. When I drag the shortcut into my web browser, the web page opens as expected. This is most often the case, but some shortcuts (this forum for example) open in Firefox as they should.
So how can I force the shortcut to be opened with my web browser? I thought "Type=Link" means that this shortcut has to be opened with the standard web browser, but there seems to be some additional interpretation.
I use Mint Cinnamon 19.3 / Firefox 77.01.

Here is an example of a shortcut file created with Firefox, which is erroneously opened using xplayer:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Verknüpfung mit Amazon.de: 8 cm Hochlehner Auflage B 255 grau schwarz kariert
Type=Link
URL=https://www.amazon.de/Luxus-Hochlehner- ... RZ8Z3H8R52
Icon=text-html

halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: URL shortcut opens with media player

Post by halregen »

Right click on the link then click on "open with","other application" . Look for your browser name and click that. Click set as default. It should now be set to opening in your browser.

Return to “Other topics”