Sleep mode and shutdown problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
antikythera
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Sleep mode and shutdown problem

Post by antikythera »

Ctrodur wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:39 am
For the shutdown, is it a bad thing for the computer to have to press on the power button ?
For the storage drive it can be.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Welcome
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welcome »

One other option. Instead of using shutdown, try this:
  • Reboot
  • Enter grub
  • Press 'c' to enter command mode
  • Enter halt
"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." —Dr. Wayne Dyer
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, ..." —John Wesley
Ctrodur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ctrodur »

Yes I can try that, the "reboot" command curiously is perfectly working. But if I know how to enter bios when booting, I don't know how I can access in grub menu ?
Welcome
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welcome »

During reboot, the system shuts down, and then starts the boot process. You may see a splash screen for your laptop, but at some point you'll briefly see a blinking underscore in the upper left corner. Right after the splash screen, and you have to be quick, press the Shift key. I usually repeatedly tap the shift keys right after the laptop's splash screen since that works best for me. Some instructions say to "Press and hold the Shift key" during the entire boot up sequence, but that hasn't worked for me because if seems to hang the splash screen on some laptops. Once you see the grub menu, press the 'c' key. You need to be fairly quick here, because (if I remember correctly) there's an auto start if you don't type 'c' or the down arrow (or maybe some other key). You'll soon see a command prompt. Type in halt and press return/enter. I think it'll shutdown if we're lucky. If not, at least the system will be in a state where there should be no problem in doing the power-button-long-press-shut-down.

Just tried this on two different machines, and the halt works as expected. But, it took me two reboots to get into the grub menu. :(
"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." —Dr. Wayne Dyer
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, ..." —John Wesley
Ctrodur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ctrodur »

I've tried many times but the shift key during boot seems to have no effects on my computer. I'll search later on the Internet how to access Grub. By then I found another solution working: instead of shutting down my computer, I make a reboot (since this command runs correctly) and immediately at the end of the process, I use the shut down command and it powers off the system correctly. I will keep doing this until I can afford buying some new material. Thank you again for your help !
Welcome
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welcome »

This would make it a little easier to get to the grub menu, but you'd see it each time the computer was booted. Maybe a good solution overall.
smurphos wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:57 am
If you want to set grub to show automatically on every boot then run this command to open the relevant config file in a terminal based text editor with elevated privileges

Code: Select all

sudoedit /etc/default/grub
Change these lines

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
to

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
Then Ctrl-X, Y, Enter to save.
Then in the terminal run

sudo update-grub
Ctrodur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ctrodur »

This solution is perfectly working now to shut down my computer, thank you !
Welcome
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welcome »

:D
petermessi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petermessi »

I have faced problem in sleep mode and shutdown in my laptop i have installed windows 7. I have tried lot of techniques..it was not solved.after reading various discussions in this forum,i have applied such techniques with the help of my friend who is technical support he solves my problem,Now I hope it is solved.thanks to all members for sharing all valuable information.
Welcome
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welcome »

@petermessi - Thanks! Glad your system is fixed! Your kind words are very nice to hear. It means a lot to those of us who volunteer our time to try to help others. :D

Return to “Other topics”