[SOLVED] New kernel 5.4.0.67 makes system super slow

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [SOLVED] New kernel 5.4.0.67 makes system super slow

Post by Reddog1 »

Do what I do and save yourself some headaches. When I have a kernel that works--all my hardware working and I'm happy--I reject all kernel updates. There is absolutely no reason to update a working kernel, other than a remote vulnerability in the kernel. None, zip, nada. No reason. And I won't change my kernel until I update my system version when LTS ends.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

^ well this is Linux & everybody is allowed to treat their equipment & data as they want.
Personally it is not a course of action that I would recommend to anyone though.
There seems to be this myth that developers create updates for nothing more than a personal whim.

These are the facts of Kernel vulnerabilities.
Kernal Vs.png
Kernal Vs.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
cve.png
cve.png (17.01 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

And how many of those are remote vulnerabilities? I can answer that for you--remote vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel are as rare as hen's teeth. For a home system, there is absolutely no reason to update the kernel if your hardware works, in the absence of a remote vulnerability. Period, end of argument.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Yes, of course you are correct.. :roll:

However, if you are, why did the lead on Linux Mint go to the extreme of issuing a notice that recommends all Mint users keep their software up to date?
And why will Mint 20.2 include a warning message to users when they don't update??
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

My take: generally, I also recommend updating the kernel.

However, it's not insanely irresponsible to block kernel updates. Because the high security risks are elsewhere: notably the web browser, the email client and things like that. Whereas kernel updates do carry a relatively high risk of breakage.

So under certain circumstances it can be reasonable to block kernel updates (for a while?).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

However, if you are, why did the lead on Linux Mint go to the extreme of issuing a notice that recommends all Mint users keep their software up to date?
Because the metrics are showing that there are people that have installed Mint and never updated any software. Likely, their metrics are showing that sites are being visited with Mint installs with old versions of browsers (like Firefox 50) being used. Keep in mind that the metric may be skewed by those that install Mint in a virtual machine and then don't bother updating it because there really isn't much reason to do so, when any snapshot can be loaded as a Mint vm. Same goes for Windows virtual machines. In my host machines I update everything but the kernel, unless there is a security bulletin for a remote vulnerability. Last of those I remember was about 2 years ago, and the exploit would only crash the machine. The one before that was a real remote that allowed root access, but I wasn't using the effected kernels.
eplm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eplm »

Aside from the discussion on whether or not to update kernels, mine always got updated automatically until now, so I never knew there was a separate view for kernels, thanks for pointing that out.
Strange though, that the 5.4 kernel branch is supported way further into the future than 5.8:
Selection_039.png
versus
Selection_038.png
Is this similar to the LTS/experimental versions of Linux distros?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

eplm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:45 am Aside from the discussion on whether or not to update kernels, mine always got updated automatically until now, so I never knew there was a separate view for kernels, thanks for pointing that out.
Strange though, that the 5.4 kernel branch is supported way further into the future than 5.8:

Selection_039.png

versus

Selection_038.png

Is this similar to the LTS/experimental versions of Linux distros?
More or less. The 5.4.x kernel series is long term supported; the newer series isn't and will require you to upgrade to a newer short-lived kernel series from time to time.

Reason for the existence of those short-lived kernel series: we need newer kernel series for support for the latest hardware. If your hardware isn't that new, you can simply stick to the LTS kernel series. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Kernel 5.4.0-67 is not kernel 5.11.0-34. Therefore eplm's post split off and turned into a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=356787. Appending new issues to an old solved thread is not recommended. Create a new thread instead, please.
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Other topics”