[SOLVED] Why am I unable to change permissions of my USB HDD formatted to ext4?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kadaitcha Man
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Why am I unable to change permissions of my USB HDD formatted to ext4?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Linuz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 pm
According to the log, the drive "passed".
I've already answered that, clearly and succinctly above: viewtopic.php?p=2042269#p2042269
What do you think?
I've already answered that too at the very same link. I don't take well to being asked to swim around in circles like a seal missing a flipper.

What you make of that given all of the foregoing is your decision alone. You are free to clutch at straws and ignore the advice. As I've also said before, there is no more to be said.
[*] All kadaitcha men are liars
Linuz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuz »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 pm
Linuz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 pm
According to the log, the drive "passed".
I've already answered that, clearly and succinctly above: viewtopic.php?p=2042269#p2042269
What do you think?
I've already answered that too at the very same link. I don't take well to being asked to swim around in circles like a seal missing a flipper.

What you make of that given all of the foregoing is your decision alone. You are free to ignore the advice. As I've also said before, there is no more to be said.
I am not emotionally attached to the drive in any way and am ready to throw it away. I am just trying to learn how to know when a drive is worth throwing away in the future. That's why I am asking questions on this forum.

I am not sure which SMART values I should be inspecting. If it's too much of a bother to type out what I should look for, would you please link me to an source that explains how to interpret results for SMART tests.

Thanks again for your help
Kadaitcha Man
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Linuz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:30 pm
... I am just trying to learn ...
Yes, and while you're learning by asking endless questions or endlessly going over the same questions that have already been adequately answered, other people with genuine problems go unassisted. This is a support forum after all, not an education forum. Learning is, of course, very much encouraged, but you are doing it at my or at someone else's expense because we give our time freely. I and many others are not here to educate you, we are here to help you resolve issues with Linux Mint.

I'm out, unless you wish to pay my utterly outrageous tutoring fees. Pricing starts at your first born child, one arm, the opposing leg, 100% of your pre-tax salary or wages for the next ten years, plus whatever liquidity you had in stocks, shares, bonds, bank accounts, retirement funds or stashed under your mattress as at midnight last night.
Linuz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuz »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:43 pm
Linuz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:30 pm
... I am just trying to learn ...
Yes, and while you're learning by asking endless questions or endlessly going over the same questions that have already been adequately answered, other people with genuine problems go unassisted. This is a support forum after all, not an education forum. Learning is, of course, very much encouraged, but you are doing it at my or at someone else's expense because we give our time freely.

I'm out, unless you wish to pay my utterly outrageous tutoring fees. Pricing starts at your first born child, one arm, the opposing leg, 100% of your pre-tax salary or wages for the next five years, plus whatever liquidity you had in stocks, shares, bonds, bank accounts, retirement funds or stashed under your mattress as at midnight last night.
People help each other all the time in Linux forums. How else will we convince people to start using free software instead of proprietary software? Someone will have to bridge the gap for new users. Helping people with their linux problems is what is educating them. Not sure how you can separate the two. They go hand in hand.

You're not obligated to comment any more and are more than encouraged to unsubscribe from this thread. Thank you for your help!

If anyone else can answer my questions, I'd sure appreciate it!
Kadaitcha Man
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Linuz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 pm
You're not obligated to comment any more ...
Nor am I obligated to ever assist you again.

Good luck.
Linuz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linuz »

If anyone else can tell me whether this drive is dying or what values I should look for in the SMART test to judge whether the drive is dying, please let me know!

Thanks

EDIT: After plugging in my external 2.5 in laptop-sized drive directly to the SATA ports on my computer, it was able to create a Timeshift snapshot. I probably need to invest in separate 3.5 inch USB 3.0 external HDDs for my desktop computer that's running Linux Mint now that it has become my main computer.