Dismissing a "device is busy" message.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bronze Globe
Level 3
Level 3

Dismissing a "device is busy" message.

Post by Bronze Globe »

Not sure where this goes, and didn't find this elsewhere.

I using 20.2 Cinnamon.

After trying to eject a USB stick that's currently busy with something, there was a "device is busy please wait" message. I wanted that message off the screen, so I hit the X, but it just came right back again.

How may I dismiss that sort of message, such that it won't pop up again seconds later?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dismissing a "device is busy" message.

Post by Cosmo. »

Wait the needed time. The warning has a reason. The reason does not vanish, if you dismiss the message.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Bronze Globe wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:17 pm ... After trying to eject a USB stick that's currently busy with something, there was a "device is busy please wait" message. I wanted that message off the screen, so I hit the X, but it just came right back again....
The best way to avoid a message like that is to stop trying to eject it when it's busy.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you are copying a lot of files to a usb stick, when you have started the copy open a terminal and sync. When you get the terminal prompt back again the stick is safe to remove.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
msseufert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msseufert »

I'd like to add that if you have a file manager window open or terminal window that is viewing a directory on the USB stick, you can get the same message.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edge.
Intel i9 10th Gen deca-core, 64GB RAM

Return to “Other topics”