Automatic Logout in Mint 21

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
drm313mac
Level 1
Level 1

Automatic Logout in Mint 21

Post by drm313mac »

Please Help:

I upgraded one drive to version 21.0

Screensaver all boxes unchecked
Power Management Options all set to Never

I like to leave system running when not at the desk, such as when working outside, while listening to music while working. Also, the following event occurs while watching a movie on the computer.

When I don't move the mouse or touch the keyboard for a period of time, the system automatically logs me out.
Is this a new feature in Linux Mint 21, w/o a workaround? If so I will stay with version 20.3, and when support ends I will go to a different distro.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Automatic Logout in Mint 21

Post by Cosmo. »

No, this is not a new feature. I have never seen this.

Open Users & Groups and create a new account. Reboot and log into the new account. Set screen saver and power settings to off, otherwise leave everything at default. Work outside or hear music ( :wink: ) and tell us afterwards, what happened or what not.
Gotcha!
drm313mac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drm313mac »

I thank you for responding.

Mint 21.0 is installed on an SSD, and so I was unsure whether the issue is software (Linux itself) or the SSD. I am beginning to suspect there is a hardware issue, as in the MB, CPU, or PSU. All three are about one year old.

Mostly I would come inside and see the system had logged out (or crashed) and was faced with a log in screen. Thrice now since the first post the system has crashed. In two, very briefly three lines have been displayed, one of which states a CPU error; usually indicative of either PSU or MB issue, and in one instance the sound crashed (it is integrated into the MB). Hence, I rather expect the issue is that of the motherboard.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

With your new information I get the suspicion, that this is not a log out, but the the system crashes and reboots; in this case you come to the login screen.

Possibly this is a problem with the newer kernel in Mint 21. Restore the system with the Timeshift snapshot before the upgrade.
Gotcha!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Also interesting: the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxpmrz
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
drm313mac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drm313mac »

I've been doing some tests on the three operating systems; these being Mint 21.0, Mint 20.3, and Windows 10 (which I detest), and have at least found WHEN the system crashes.
Running 10 for three consecutive days and nights, the system never crashed/froze a single time, leading me to believe the fault is within Linux.
Running either of the two Mint variants, the crash/freeze happens EXCLUSIVELY when Firefox is running, and I have clicked on it and I'm viewing a page, meaning the mouse is stationary for a time. For the past few days I have now started to click outside of the browser, even while say reading the news, and all is stable (so far). When the browser is closed, the system has never (yet) froze or crashed.

Conclusions: Either Firefox is "not ready for prime time in the new releases, or (and this is a possibility) Firefox in the version I run isn't stable. That is, In each version of Linux and in Windows, I harden the browser. In older versions of Linux this has never been an issue, but perhaps this is the cause in the new versions w/ the new Firefox. I will try LibreWolf, and see if this changes things.
drm313mac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drm313mac »

What does "inxi -Fxxxpmrz" do?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

inxi is a command to provide system information; which exactly gets controlled by the used parameter.

You can look at it if you open the System Report from the menu, you find the System Information there on the second page.
Gotcha!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it may not be logging you out, as such,
but rather, it's locking you out,
as if the screen_saver is still active, and thus is locking the account.
OR
the machine is power_saving, and thus is locking the account.

do tell us something about the machine:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644
copy the result of that, back here, on your reply.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Other topics”