Timeshift RESTORE has 2 / entries to "Select Target Device"

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift RESTORE has 2 / entries to "Select Target Device"

Post by Gunter »

Solved. (Not really, but I did a work-around - see post below dated 17 Oct 2022, and the troubled installation no longer exists). Thanks to all the contributors.

I have not seen this before, or in any "tutorials".
If I select the same partition for both, Timeshift won't let me continue. Selecting 2 different partitions (on the same or different drive) will continue.
The result is non-functional, but that may be because of this issue, or it may be a different topic. One problem at a time :)
Last edited by Gunter on Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Timeshift RESTORE has 2 / entries to "Select Target Device"

Post by Cosmo. »

I have not seen this also. Please provide a screenshot.
Gotcha!
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

Thanks for your reply. Forgot to mention: this is on LM21
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There are 2 strange things: Not only that this field is doubled (what does not make sense), but also the fact, that the fields are not prefilled with some content (as the other 3 fields are).

What gets offered, if you click the small triangle on the right of the fields?
Dos it help to click the refresh button?
Gotcha!
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

Yup, the double / is a head-banger. Since when does a file system have 2 roots?
The refresh button does nothing, the triangles offer all (mounted??) partitions. By choosing what for me looked like the most likely candidates, I created some restores. Just checked one of them: the files seem to be there, the size of the file system on the drive looks about right, but it ain't booting from it. So one of MANY attempts was to install LM21 on a drive, and then restore to it with the advanced options turned off, to hopefully keep the boot loader intact. Nope, didn't work, but that might be because I had to choose which drive to put in position 1 or 2 as root, and name another one in the second.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I would had been interested in 2 things:

#1 How does it appear, if you open TS from the LM 21 live system?
#2 How does it appear from a LM 20.x live system?
Gotcha!
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

It appears the same from a LM21 USB stick - booted in USB or EFI mode. I'll have to create a 20 stick. Just checked: I have 18, 19 and 21 images, but no 20 - where can I find one?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

But a LM 19 stick would also be of interest.
Gotcha!
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

Downloaded 20. Tired. Will leave this experiment till tomorrow as working while tired caused this mess in the first place. Thanks for your help!!!
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 am
I would had been interested in 2 things:

#1 How does it appear, if you open TS from the LM 21 live system?
#2 How does it appear from a LM 20.x live system?
It is exactly the same in my experience.

look at this

TS LM21.jpg
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:17 pm
That would be interesting, if
#1 we would know in which system (Mint version)
#2 your screenshot would show the same window as the screenshot by Gunter

For the record: I do not see the problem in my LM 21 system. I get 1 path for the system and it is filled with the expected partition.
Gotcha!
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:29 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:17 pm
That would be interesting, if
#1 we would know in which system (Mint version)
#2 your screenshot would show the same window as the screenshot by Gunter

For the record: I do not see the problem in my LM 21 system. I get 1 path for the system and it is filled with the expected partition.
version? it plainly says LM20.3 but I use the Cinnamon Desktop only.
I looked at all of the available windows in my Timeshift setup, and none of them look like what Guner shows.

but, my Timeshift has been installed forever, and I have never seen that window, never.

the only thing I have needed to do, is specify WHERE TO SAVE IT.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Then I wonder, why you said, that you have the same experience. Experience regarding what? Gunter asks about the restore operation, his window comes from there, it is not a setting window.

And BTW, you are now on LM 21, not more 20.3.
Gotcha!
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:50 pm
Then I wonder, why you said, that you have the same experience. Experience regarding what? Gunter asks about the restore operation, his window comes from there, it is not a setting window.

And BTW, you are now on LM 21, not more 20.3.
I miss read the question, I just went and looked at Restore, and all of the blanks are filled in

TS Restore.jpg
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Similar to mine and as it should show. Let us see, what the OP shows tomorrow.
Gotcha!
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

The LM20 USB stick gave the same double /

After reading a lot about timeshift (TS). efi and gpt, here's the story why I used ts in the first place, and a likely reason I've run into trouble.

I had a clean install on a SSD of LM21 (using MBR), and configured it for weeks (mostly Firefox and E-mail client). Then I learned about GPT, and thought it would be a good idea to covert my disks to it. Did a TS backup, and then proceeded to do one of the most stupid things in a long time: converted my SSD drive to gpt. Yeah, slap forehead. Things you do when tired. Then, when attempting a restore with TS, the double / appeared.

I'm a noob in many things Linux. My hunch is that the gpt conversion changed the UUIDs of the partitions, and TS uses those UUIDs to pull the info it inserts into the RESTORE screen.

Still, there should be a way to restore to a new drive, in case of a drive failure.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

Gunter wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:39 am
Then I learned about GPT, and thought it would be a good idea to covert my disks to it. Did a TS backup, and then proceeded to do one of the most stupid things in a long time: converted my SSD drive to gpt.
There was nothing wrong with doing that. The part that most likely caused the problem was restoring your snapshot from your old system to the new system.
Gunter wrote:
My hunch is that the gpt conversion changed the UUIDs of the partitions, and TS uses those UUIDs to pull the info it inserts into the RESTORE screen.
GPT also uses EFI and its related files. I do not know what happened when you restored.
Gunter wrote:
Still, there should be a way to restore to a new drive, in case of a drive failure.
I do not think I understand this comment. Yes, there is a way to restore to a new drive, but it sounds like you did a "mixed" restore by restoring your legacy-BIOS MBR install over your EFI GPT install?

Please provide the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -SMDPxxx
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

I arrived at 2 "solutions":

1. I installed LM21 on the disk, copied the right UUID from the snapshot grub.cfg, and started Timeshift. It still gave me 2 / , but it inserted the correct / in the first root entry. I moved that to the second / entry, and used a little partition I created for that purpose in the first /. The other entries I chose what seemed right. Restored the snapshot, and it worked. BUT... one problem I had that led me to do all this got worse: the time between grup and login was 100 seconds originally, and that grew longer with this install (side track: the original problem when examining the boot.log, I noticed it was looking for a device and timed out after 90 seconds - I did NOT find any drive on my system with that UUID, and it certainly was not in grub.cfg). Anyway, this slow booting install allowed me to do some other backups (mainly my Firefox tabs, some 400 - I do a lot of research), and then proceeded to solution 2.

2. Wipe the disk, and do a fresh install of LM21, and restore everything back. It took some time, and configuring isn't 100% finished - seems I encountered a couple of bugs, which may result in more, but much simpler questions on his forum.

Thanks for the help, and sorry to the last contributor: That installation no longer exists.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

Gunter wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:39 am
I noticed it was looking for a device and timed out after 90 seconds - I did NOT find any drive on my system with that UUID, and it certainly was not in grub.cfg).
You would want to check in fstab and not grub.

If your issue is resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

Thanks for those tips SMG

SMG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:25 am
Gunter wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:39 am
I noticed it was looking for a device and timed out after 90 seconds - I did NOT find any drive on my system with that UUID, and it certainly was not in grub.cfg).
You would want to check in fstab and not grub.

If your issue is resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this topic.

Return to “Other topics”