Linux Mint 21 Process Monitor Icon

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 21 Process Monitor Icon

Post by aybesea »

The new LM21 process monitor icon on the lower right status bar is not showing the correct graphic. It seems to just randomly pick something and show it. Also, since it has never quite worked for me, is there supposed to be a context menu? Or an action when clicked or dbl-clicked?

Really it's a nuisance, but I'd like to fix the icon.
manyroads
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 21 Process Monitor Icon

Post by manyroads »

Which process monitor are you running, which desktop are you using, what does your installation look like? Please follow the instructions in the pink area above on how-to get help.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
i3wm, openbox, xfce4
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aybesea »

I am running LM21 Cinnamon. This would be the process monitor that automatically comes with LM21 and lives on the status bar. It's there, but it doesn't have a proper icon.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

aybesea wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:16 pm
The new LM21 process monitor icon on the lower right status bar is not showing the correct graphic. It seems to just randomly pick something and show it. Also, since it has never quite worked for me, is there supposed to be a context menu? Or an action when clicked or dbl-clicked?
Please read the Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon: New Features. Under Process Monitor it indicates:
A little process monitor was added to Linux Mint to detect automated updates and automated system snapshots running in the background.
Whenever an automated task is running the monitor places an icon in your system tray.
If you are sometimes seeing it and then sometimes not, then it is working as designed. There is nothing for you to click or double-click. If nothing is happening in the background then it should not be showing at all.

What "random graphic" is your monitor displaying?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aybesea »

It seems to be some part of a bitmap that changes every time... like something left in memory or something, but never a discernable image. Just junk.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

aybesea wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 am
It seems to be some part of a bitmap that changes every time... like something left in memory or something, but never a discernable image. Just junk.
Maybe something didn't install properly? What version of Update Manager do you currently have?
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aybesea »

SMG wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:47 pm
aybesea wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 am
Maybe something didn't install properly? What version of Update Manager do you currently have?
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

aybesea wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:39 pm
SMG wrote:
What version of Update Manager do you currently have?
The latest version according to mintupdate changelog is 5.8.9 dated for the end of September.

I am currently running LM20.3 (which has an older version), but I would assume LM21 and LMDE5 installs would have the latest version of mintupdate. The change for 5.8.8 was related to when the icon appeared so if something on your 5.8.8 install did not go properly, that might be why you are seeing an issue and do not yet have the latest version of mintupdate.
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aybesea »

SMG wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:05 pm
aybesea wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:39 pm
SMG wrote:
What version of Update Manager do you currently have?
The latest version according to mintupdate changelog is 5.8.9 dated for the end of September.

I am currently running LM20.3 (which has an older version), but I would assume LM21 and LMDE5 installs would have the latest version of mintupdate. The change for 5.8.8 was related to when the icon appeared so if something on your 5.8.8 install did not go properly, that might be why you are seeing an issue and do not yet have the latest version of mintupdate.
So, I update pretty religiously. There has never been a newer mintupdate offered, and it doesn't show up in its own list. Synaptic shows the latest available as 5.8.8, and yes I've refreshed the sources. So how, exactly, would I go about installing 5.8.9???
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

aybesea wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:01 pm
So, I update pretty religiously. There has never been a newer mintupdate offered, and it doesn't show up in its own list. Synaptic shows the latest available as 5.8.8, and yes I've refreshed the sources. So how, exactly, would I go about installing 5.8.9???
I just checked the main repository and apparently 5.8.9 is not yet there for LM21. Sorry for my error.

No one else has mentioned having the same problem you are having so just saying it's "junk" has no meaning for me. I do not know if what you are seeing might be related to the size of your panel or to your theme. When I check the icons folder for mintupdate, it appears the last update was 14 months ago.

I do not know if removing and re-installing mintupdate would help because I do not know what icon is used.
motoryzen
Level 7
Level 7

Post by motoryzen »

aybesea ..just so another item is checked off the list and you're actually following the Forum rules surrounded in pink that says Before you post please read How to get help.... step 5 shows how to post your system info

If you prefer not to deal with a terminal command ( inxi -Fxxxmprz is better imo *shrugs*) there's always the gui way

windows logo button on your keyboard, " system reports" without quotes, select " System information" in upper left, copy button on bottom right area, back here at the site...... </> button, then hold ctrl and press v to paste. then click Submit on
Primary rig:
asrock x570 taichi
ryzen 5900x
128GB of kingston fury at 3600mhz 1.44 volts 20-20-20 ( I forgot the rest) 1T timings
corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
8GB rx580 sapphire nitro+ video card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aybesea »

I have attached 2 sample screenshots. They were taken seconds apart from each other. As you can see, the gibberish 3rd icon in the status tray has changed. It cheanges constantly. Sometimes with bits of recognizable images, sometimes with random junk. It's like something is overwriting the icon bitmap... or... the pointer to the icon bitmap is actually pointing to some dynamic area of memory. Either way, I have no idea of how to fix this. I am using stock theme and used the LM startup to change color configuration. That's about it. I don't tweak a whole lot.
Attachments
sample2.png
sample2.png (51.66 KiB) Viewed 184 times
sample1.png
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

Linux Mint icons were changed in version 20 so they could work well with HiDPI. The screenshot of the gear icons in the New Features for LM21 shows them to be a similar to the rest of the Linux Mint icons (black/white/grey). I had thought they were all designed to be the right-most icons on the panel.

The square, changing icon on the screenshots you posted seems to not only have more color than I would expect for a Linux Mint icon, it also is further to the left than I would expect. To me, it looks like it could be a process monitor icon, but I do not use process monitoring software to have a guess as to what the applet might be.

We will have to wait for someone with LM21 installed to give feedback on what they have/they are seeing.
aybesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aybesea »

Maybe I'm wrong and it's not the Process Monitor icon that was added in LM21. I assumed that was it since it first appeared after upgrading to LM21.

If that's not what it is, how would I ascertain exactly what this icon is for? Clicking/RClicking does not reveal any functionality or info (doesn't appear to do anything).
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

aybesea wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:33 am
Maybe I'm wrong and it's not the Process Monitor icon that was added in LM21. I assumed that was it since it first appeared after upgrading to LM21.
Did you do an in-place upgrade from LM20.3 to LM21? Maybe something you had installed before is not working well with the redesigns in LM21?
aybesea wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:33 am
If that's not what it is, how would I ascertain exactly what this icon is for? Clicking/RClicking does not reveal any functionality or info (doesn't appear to do anything).
If you right-click on an open space in the panel and select "Applets", it's my understanding the ones which can appear in the panel will have a checkmark on the left side in the listing. Maybe that will give an idea of what it might be.

Return to “Other topics”