Automatic restart/reboot

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Automatic restart/reboot

Post by Husse »

There was a red stripe right above this topic and it says
Forum rules
For support questions please post in the "Support" section.
Topic moved to somewhere without it
This is strange...
Which version of Mint and can you tell us a bit more what you did
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

jungar wrote:
Husse wrote:There was a red stripe right above this topic and it says
Forum rules
For support questions please post in the "Support" section.
Topic moved to somewhere without it
This is strange...
Which version of Mint and can you tell us a bit more what you did

i posted the question again in the support section.. sorry

im using Daryna for what its worth. and my problem is simple. the laptop restarts automatically! without any warning or questions or anything. i'm in the middle of working, and it restarts.

so far it happened 3 times in the past week.

sorry again for not posting it in the support section, feel free to delete this thread afterwards
Unfortunatly I'm unable to help beyond this, but it sounds more like you're having a random crashing issue. Prehaps from something you installed earlier if that's when it started. As far as I know, unlike Windows, Linux (Ubuntu and Linux Mint at least, from my experience) will never reboot or restart automatically without asking permission (Which I'm thanking god about. Automatic updates automatically restarting feature always left a bad taste in my mouth while using XP.). I've always either gotten a window asking for such (If it were an application like Envy finishing up) or a small bubble in the corner of the screen asking me to restart for a big update.

I could always be wrong of course, I'm still a "Linux Newb" so to speak. :oops:
Husse

Post by Husse »

I must say I agree with Insane1
Furthermore this is hard to google...
I think I've read and also experienced myself that closing Firefox caused X to restart. This was not a reboot though, but of course about as bad if you had unsaved data
It seems a bit like hardware failure - memory, power supply and graphics card the first suspects
Striker

Post by Striker »

I just experienced this with Elyssa on my laptop. I had Firefox 3.0, and Eclipse 3.4 running. I was then doing some work on my desktop. In the meantime the screensaver started up on the laptop. When I returned to the laptop, I wiggled the mouse, and lo and behold, under the screensaver I was presented with the login splash screen. I logged in and had a fresh desktop. When I restarted Firefox, Session Manager asked to restore the crashed session, so I know that at least X crashed. I don't know if the machine rebooted because I wasn't paying attention to it. But the screensaver was still running when I returned to it, so, what could have happened? Aha, it could have rebooted and then the screensaver restarted before I returned to it. Anyways, this is strange behavior for Linux.
Striker

Post by Striker »

It just happened again today. My laptop was running in exactly the same configuration as yesterday, I went out for about an hour, came back, the screensaver was running, wiggled the mouse, and had to re-login. The computer had rebooted, all on it's own.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I will change the screensaver to just blank the screen, to see if that makes a difference.

Return to “Other topics”