Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

The solution is simple. Just remove the potty-mouthed ones, but keep the rest. They help give the distribution some personality. There's so much emphasis these days on being professional, corporate, politically correct and inoffensive. I get enough corporate decorum when I'm at work. Maybe people will use a distribution more and not less if they get a smile or a laugh, or even occasional tidbit of wisdom.

Uncle Bob was right when he said "Personally I get offended by people that take offence so easily to anything and everything. "
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Uncle Bob was right when he said "Personally I get offended by people that take offence so easily to anything and everything."
There are differing standards between footloose hobbyists and paid professionals.

Do and be whatever you please in your Wild Frontier pastime, and take smug offense at the mainstream. But, when you enter the commonwealth to seek patrons -- from whom you solicit money for a product or service -- then you must discipline your own "offence" in favor of the market that feeds your dreams of fame and fortune. Otherwise your commerce may be limited by the size of your equally quirky fandom.

Change is unnecessary when the project's status quo satisfies its charter.

----
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Claim down, guy. I haven't seen the one about your sister swimming out to the ship (as if BASH even knows your sister :roll: ) but maybe the ones like that should be removed, but leave the harmless ones in. That seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Speaking of the market, there are whole lot of lookalike distros out there, without personality that go nowhere. Why use this over Ubuntu in the first place? In the end, the codecs are easy to install with instructions all over the Ubuntu forums and in the wiki; using Ubuntu I could probably even figure out how add the repo's that contain mintconfig, mintmenu, etc. But this own looks and feels better than Ubuntu. The sayings when you launch the terminal are just one more small way to set this distro apart; but just take out the ones about "your sister swims out to meet the ships" ,etc.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

This graffiti thing is party to a broader and tenacious issue.

My very first (and brief) look-see at Linux was back when it was an infant. It booted from a floppy diskette, and had only the Terminal interface.

More than a decade later now, I see that Linux users continue to be slaves to the cryptic DOS-prompt. (And there's still "personality" in canned one-liners from a simpleminded jack-in-the-box that's almost as old as Unix itself?)

Ultimately, this ain't quaint or kitschy, it's a crutch. A ball-and-chain shackle -- with an attitude.

In years past, Microsoft was lambasted whenever Windows required its users to suckle at the DOS-prompt teat. So the MS-DOS box is hardly needed now. But, in Linux, today, users who aren't a competent chef with the Terminal are faced with desktop malnutrition!

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with this, but then comparisons between MS Windows and desktop Linux become futile, because the two haven't been held to the same standards of mainstream accessibility.

For every lean and mean Linux ace who taunts the Microsoft PC as a bloated game machine, there are thousands of Windows users who are too fat and pampered to care. And Bill Gates cackles all the way to the bank.

Linux's hardcore and old-guard admirers can also be its worst representatives, by effectively maintaining a text-mode Wild Frontier chip on their OS shoulder. It's sad to see that this has helped keep Linux relatively poor in the midst of obscene wealth -- like the genius nerd who's underutilized mainly because he's socially challenged. You can dress him up with a GUI, but you can't take him anywhere without the clunky Terminal.

Imagine the folly in Microsoft hyping how a MS-DOS jack-in-the-box gives Vista an edge over Mac OS.

Nursing Linux's DOS-prompt "personality" isn't worth the cultural, stylistic, or marketing blunders.

------
Last edited by telic on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Uncle Bob wrote:Personally I get offended by people that take offence so easily to anything and everything. To me they are all just spineless whingers that cannot cope with the real world and reality and therefore they serve no purpose in life, they are a liability and they weaken the gene pool. Furthermore their presence weaken our position at the top of the food chain. Thus, they should all be rounded up and then shot at dawn.
I notice the support for Portsmouth FC at the bottom of your post - presumably you have some connection with Portsmouth. Like many ex-navy people, so do I. I guess maybe the relatives of 15 service people might not agree that jokes about being held hostage are not offensive - but hey you get your kicks your own way I guess.

My concern about the un-professional approach this creates takes things back to the "2 thirteen year old geeks sniggering over mums underwear catalogue behind the bike sheds" level and does nothing for the image of linux. Whether you find that fun or not is immaterial as far as I'm concerned - I am not a spineless whinger, nor do I take offence easily, and if you want silly sayings in your terminal that's fine.

What I object to here is the lack of sensitivity in chosing the content and delivery method. By all means put 'em in, but switch em off by default.

in light

bin
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

I still fail to see what's wrong with my proposal. I think all Clem would have do is comment out the offensive bits in the /usr/share/games/fortunes/fortune file (and latter on possibly replace them with something better) So that Mint can set itself apart from the numerous lookalike distros with a modified fortune. You never achieve greatness by being like everybody else.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Your idea is a good compromise. :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I generally don't even notice the presense of these "one-liners" (odd thing to call something that never is one line) but when I read them I don't find them very funny but on the other hand I haven't found one that I find objectionable. Thought they were left overs from the terminal's childhood :)

Return to “Other topics”