Garmin Nuvi GPS

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wburke20
Level 1
Level 1

Garmin Nuvi GPS

Post by wburke20 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:07 pm

This may be a waste of time, but is it possible to to upgrade my GPS maps when the only OS I am using is Linux. I recently upgraded my last Windows holdout (my wife's computer) to Linux Mint 13. I knew that something like this might come up, but usually, I can use a different application or work around. Now my wife is ticked off and I don't blame her. She knows nothing about operating systems. She just wants "the thing to work". Is there any thing that can be done to fix this? I've used Windows 8 and that won't ever be in my future.
Linux: The Quiet Revolution

izzo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Garmin Nuvi GPS

Post by izzo » Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 pm

I am also curious if there's a way to update Garmins under mint.

For now I am just using Oracle VM virtualbox with an XP installed through it...

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid » Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 am

wburke20 wrote:This may be a waste of time, but is it possible to to upgrade my GPS maps when the only OS I am using is Linux.
Yes. I do that for my Garmin Nuvi starting from the day I bought it a few years ago :) BTW these GPS device use an embedded Linux by themselves. I upload OpenStreetMap maps for my country location (France) on my device on a regular basis without any issue.

Edit: check here => http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox

OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OnlyMe » Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Does it plot the course/distance/driving time the way the Garmin software does? I'd love to see pictures of it in action.

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid » Sun May 26, 2013 3:41 am

Yes. You only have to upload a "routable" map on your device and it will operate exactly as it does with original maps. I bought a Garmin device especially for this purpose and its openness. Never had to buy any map from the OEM.

Edit: my main source for France maps (french webpage) => http://fredericbonifas.free.fr/osm/garmin.html (many thanks to Frédéric 8) ).
Safer than Dropbox

OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OnlyMe » Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 pm

I just have to work up the nerve to try it now, LOL! Thank you for the info.

OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OnlyMe » Mon May 27, 2013 6:31 pm

No problem connecting the Garmin Nuvi 255W to the laptop and accessing the drive. The problem is I am lost trying to select a map of the US. My Garmin seems to be able to hold 2G of which 1.4G is currently being used. Has anyone been able to figure it out?

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid » Tue May 28, 2013 4:43 am

Your device currently hosts the OEM maps. You need to make enough room to add/replace maps. Backup the content of your device on your computer, then delete the .img files and related indexes on the device. After that, you will be able to add the new maps and indexes. If something goes wrong, the file backup will save your day :)

I don't know which files you got but for example, here are those I get in the zip archive for France:
Notice the 1.3GB img file which contains the routable map.
Safer than Dropbox

OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OnlyMe » Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am

I think I finally figured it out last night. I got to the web page where you manually select the tiles you want. They sent me notification that my files were ready but that was overnight. The files waiting are as you have shown. I actually ordered two sets of tiles. One for the entire continuous US which I later calculated was more than my Garmin could hold and then I whittled down the list to exclude those I would likely never need for travel which seemes to be more like what will fit on the device. I've also cleared off the various language packs I will never use, backed up of course. :D

Thanks for the tip about backing up the data. I intended on doing that but reminders are alway helpful.

Thank you for your reply.

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid » Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

8) You can also insert an additional SD-card for storing huge maps on the device in a /Garmin folder created on the SD-card. I didn't try this since my maps all fit in the internal RAM but it should work.
Safer than Dropbox

OnlyMe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OnlyMe » Tue May 28, 2013 3:43 pm

I've had this for several years and totally forgot about the ability to us an SD card. I'll have to get one for sure. I haven't seen any info on the kind of SD card it'll take. It has a pretty wide slot. I'll take it into the store with me and see if the sales person can tell.

I am disappointed with my download though. Archive Manager can't open the zips due to unknown error.

Return to “Other topics”