Mint's appearance makes my eyes bleed

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
abyssal
Level 1
Level 1

Mint's appearance makes my eyes bleed

Post by abyssal » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello. As my first post on this forum, I'd like to say thanks to the devs because Linux Mint is really really awesome.

There is one thing though that makes me want to shut down my PC and get out: it hurts my eyes while using it. I don't understand why, because it looks pretty much like windows, but it's something with it that makes my eyes hurt. I've tried changing the theme and colors, also set brightness level lower but still nothing.

Anyone has any idea about this? Is it some sort of resolution setting or something like this ?

Thanks.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint's appearance makes my eyes bleed

Post by TBABill » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Do you mean that it bothers you or that it physically is painful to look at? If it's painful, as in eye strain or headache, could it be a resolution that isn't matched well with the monitor or laptop screen? I'd check what your native screen resolution is and compare to Mint.

Perhaps trying a different desktop environment may help if resolution, contrast, brightness, etc. aren't an answer?

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:46 am

It looks like the only thing you haven't tried changing is the resolution of the video... You might take a stab at changing that.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wheeledgoat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:33 pm

yeah, if you're somehow in an odd resolution, the screen could look kinda wonky on ya.

from the terminal, you can use to midify your resolution.

Code: Select all

xrandr
I'm at work and can't test it out right now, but with the right switches it will also list for you all resolutions supported by your monitor. And even better it will put an asterisk next to the preferred resolution. Sorry I can't remember what those switches are, but they're pretty simple. Look up the manual entry for the command for the switches and details;

Code: Select all

man xrandr

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake."
-Frank Wilczek

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:46 am

If you're using a CRT, check your refresh rates - I used to have issues with refresh rates that were too low. Also with some lights (go figure).

If using an LCD, the above probably won't apply.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Other topics”