formatting pendrives becomes chaos (DD resolution?)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

formatting pendrives becomes chaos (DD resolution?)

Post by tpprynn »

I try out other distros and desktops quite a bit but this felt an easier job when using Windows tools. Nowadays re-formatting the disks seems very hit and miss - sometimes the disks seem dead, as they aren't seen or don't light up, and for the first time I'm seeing this message a lot:

"/dev/sdf contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table. However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should. Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table"

I use the gnome disk tool or gparted, whatever co-operates first, and then I use DD to install install the distro on the pendrive, if I can get that far. The USB Image Writer in Mint seems to be a gui for DD, is that right? It seems very much slower though.

Are there any DD routines that will always work to format a pendrive or things I can do to get the drives to wake up? Is my use of DD possibly creating a problem in re-using the pendrive after trying a distro? The form I use, which often works if I can get this far, is:

sudo dd if=/home/[username]/distro.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=4M

(I don't know if bs=4M is necessary but that was present in the first effective template I found.)

The old Ubuntu tool from around 11.04 seems to have vanished but would handle both the formatting and the writing of the disks.

Thanks.
Last edited by tpprynn on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: formatting pendrives becomes chaos (DD resolution?)

Post by daveinuk »

I use that and also USB disc creator and unetbootin, both of which can be used with a disc or usb drive, I've never used dd so can't compare, oddly though I've had the same thing where one will write an iso flawlessly and at other times fail, I also try out other distros a lot but stick to mint as a main OS, might be worth trying one of the others for a comparison.

Return to “Other topics”