[OK]Uprading from Kernel 3.2.0-23 to new Kernel 3.12.6

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

[OK]Uprading from Kernel 3.2.0-23 to new Kernel 3.12.6

Post by Scott65 »

Hi all

Was discussing an apparent driver issue with a developer and he pointed me to this site:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-linux/

Maybe this is old news, but I'm curious if it is advisable for me to upgrade? Has anyone upgrading from Kernel 3.2.0-23-generic to this?

Don't know if I should upgrade in steps, in one shot, or not at all.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Scott S
Last edited by Scott65 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Uprading from Kernel 3.2.0-23-generic to new Kernel 3.12

Post by cwsnyder »

YMMV, but whether you do it in steps or at one shot, you may lose data, so backup, backup, backup you data.

Be advised that some of your applications may get broken also, because they were developed under the older kernel.

You are going into the lonely world of software developers, Gentoo and Arch users, bleeding edge application users, and other pioneers (a.k.a. idiot geeks). Remember, you can tell a pioneer by counting the number of arrows in his back!

That said, I am running a version of kernel 3.12 on two of my installations, the Antergos and Trusty Tahr Ubuntu installs, and I haven't had a lot of problems.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

The only thing that breaks afaik is proprietary drivers (that can be compiled for specific kernels). Some graphic drivers refuse to work with newer kernels, so check their release notes first.
Then uninstall all proprietary drivers, update kernel, install them again.

Kernel upgrades are relatively safe, as you are not deleting your older kernel, and you can still choose to boot with the older kernel from Grub, there should be another entry that opens a new grub page with the older kernels. If your new kernel is instable or does not work, just boot with the old one and remove the newer kernel packages as described in the page, or from Synaptic.

Btw, latest stable kernel is 3.12.6, available here http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/

I had to upgrade from whatever kernel was in Mint 15 to kernel 3.11.6 (back then) because it was the only way to fix my ethernet card (driver bugs, fixed in that version and above), and did it with the above site.
kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi »

well...we actually can't upgrade a kernel. what we did usually install a new kernel. as long as you didn't use propietary driver then it almost guaranted safe. it might be more tricky if you're using propietary driver. you need to uninstall the driver before install a new kernel. after that you need to find a driver compatible with the new kernel. uninstall the old kernel, install the new driver. done. nevertheless, this step sometimes didn't work. don't forget to backup your important data.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

In mint 13 I "upgraded" from 3.2.0-57-generic to 3.12.0-031200-generic with no noticeable problems (also no noticeable improvement).

Tho now I don't recall if it's a "liquorix" kernel or not...the name implies not(?)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

Flemur wrote:In mint 13 I "upgraded" from 3.2.0-57-generic to 3.12.0-031200-generic with no noticeable problems (also no noticeable improvement).
Kernels deal with hardware. Unless you have issues or need specific hardware support, you don't really need to upgrade. Performance should not change.
Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Fail] Uprading from Kernel 3.2.0-23 to new Kernel 3.12.

Post by Scott65 »

Well I tried it, no problems so far.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Other topics”