I installed on a Mink 16 a RAID 5 for backup purpose on my portable PC: it worked BUT gnome-disks reported the Raid to be "degraded" and to fix it it would took something like 20 hours.
I did the same on a different portable PC with Mint 14 and haven't got the problem.
Now switching the Raid from a PC to another everything works, but the one with Mint 16 continue to claim that the Raid is degraded, while on the Mint 14 it is reported as OK.
As it is a backub system I would like to be sure that everything is OK.
Below all the tech details, and the only visible (to me) difference is the version of gnome-disk-utility.
PC Mint 16 - 64 bit
mdadm - v3.2.5 - 18th May 2012
gnome-disk-utility - Version: 3.8.2-1ubuntu2
PC Mint 14 - 32 bit
mdadm - v3.2.5 - 18th May 2012 (same on both PC)
gnome-disk-utility - Version: 3.6.1-0ubuntu1 (older...)
I used 2 different set of disks, some results:
- Set 1: 3 disks of 750GB each, different manifactures and models
- Set 2: 3 disks of 1TB each, same manifactures and models