insecure

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alf
Level 1
Level 1

insecure

Post by Alf » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 am

I have been worried about this for sometime. after leaving my computer then returning some hours later, I find either firefox or another program running. could this be spyware ? :?

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: insecure

Post by wayne128 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:16 am

If you know you will leave computer for sometime, why not just put it to:
1. Off, if you don't mind reboot later
2. Suspend to RAM, this would cut down lots of power, leaving just enough to hold the suspend state, when you return, hit some key/or power button, it should resume from suspend.

then you do not worry about computer doing something while you leave it unattended

Alf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alf » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks yes OK but now thats like locking the door after the horse has bolted

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:56 am

A couple of meandering thoughts:

1. Check your browser history. Might provide some indication of things going on within FF.

2. If you are setup for remote access, you may want to either lock down or change access parameters.

3. Any changes made to ip tables (as in are things too loosey-goosey).

Just a couple of things that come to mind on the 1st cup of coffee for the day.

Good Luck,

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:37 am

lock the screen.

deminted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deminted » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 pm

yes

Please take a look at
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=148021

.. for some unexplained reason, the out of the box Mint has poor security (IMO), not even ufw (gufw) firewall, no password on root, let alone apparmor, and control of file-sharing seems obfuscated, also I get a "Cannot find a configuration file for SSH" from Tiger (but tiger seems deprecated anyway). Mint with the hole.

IMO this is bonkers (with apologies to CLeF); there have been words exchanged elsewhere about the topic.

With the version of Mint 16 I downloaded, one has to go online without a firewall, naked, in order to download the gufw simple firewall package itself. Words fail me (polite words, that is).
One may also install & run rkhunter -c & chkrootkit & clamtk (look them up)

Whether the famed/infamous NSA has deliberately opened backdoos for itself (and therefore others) to get in (into Mint &/or FF), is moot. There's an account of Linus being asked this question, but who would imagine they might infiltrate Mint? Or Mozilla? Surely not! :mrgreen:

On top of this, there seem to be a lot of problems with hibernation, especially on laptops, seemingly as a result of certain motherboard manufacturers deliberately trying to sabotage Linux...

Regrettably I'm no expert at this, I haven't nailed what looks like intrusion on my machine; still trying things & learning.
For FFox, I always edit> prefs> security> add password
I keep an eye on the system monitor, & when I leave my box I physically unplug my net connection, and also
sudo hdparm -y /dev/whatever
to put my hdd in standby (see df -h or Menu>accessories>Disks for whatever)

It's sensible, we know, to encrypt drives, and keep regular backups.

I should add, it is probably worth re-installing & ensuring everything is updated, plus keeping an eye on the forum & other w³eb resources.

But one never knows..

Return to “Other topics”