system performance and abnormal scim behavior

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
garion
Level 1
Level 1

system performance and abnormal scim behavior

Postby garion » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:22 am

Hmm... after a few days of using Mint on my laptop (without much addition to what is originally installed from cd), there are two distinct performance problems:

1. for some reasons, the system slows down quite a bit after some normal usage for maybe 30mins or so (just some browsing, mplayer, ssh). an obvious sign is when i select quit in the menu, the screen dims down very slowly like in slow motion stripe by stripe, but it is fine right after rebooting.

2. this is even uglier. i used im-switch to link en_US to scim-pinyin, so scim will launch everytime when I log into gnome. it works flawlessly for a few days, and all of a sudden without me doing any fiddling with scim or any input/language stuff at all, it starts to suck up 900MB of memory immediately whenever I log in, and spins my harddrive madly for minutes and minutes, memory usage still going up literally freezing the machine. After painfully kill the scim-launcher process, I tried to manually start "scim -d", same thing, immediately 900MB or ram gone and hdd spinning... this is really annoying, and I can't think of anything that i could have done wrong to cause this...

Any suggestion? Thanks.

timmyflight
Level 2
Level 2

Postby timmyflight » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:01 pm

Just a thought... do you have powernowd installed? if so it MIGHT be part of the problem. You can try uninstalling it, sudo apt-get remove powernowd and see if that makes any difference. If not, and you want it back, it's in synaptic.
btw, powernowd is a feature to help regulate processor usage on laptops and such to save the battery.... if you do choose to remove it you may see shorter battery times between reharges :?
Also, another possibility is beagled may be runnining wild, check this link for more info https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beagle/+bug/64326

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house
Acts 16:31

Return to “Other topics”