I think I found a scam [resolved - not a scam, just sloppy]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Falconus
Level 1
Level 1

I think I found a scam [resolved - not a scam, just sloppy]

Post by Falconus »

I just installed Qiana, and while I'm transferring my files over, I started perusing the internet a little bit for post-installation stuff with Qiana.

I found this website (the one which I think might be a scam, so BE CAREFUL): http://www.enqlu.com/2014/05/things-to- ... linux.html

They are telling me to install a bunch of repositories to install Skype, Chromium, and a couple other programs. This strikes me as very odd, seeing as Skype and Chromium are available directly through the software manager and apt, and the default repositories.

So my question is basically, do you agree that this site is suspicious, and if so, should I contact somebody to see about getting the word out? And if it is legitimate, for what reason would they be screwing around with these repositories?

Edit: No, I did not follow the instructions on that website, and I really don't intend on doing so.
Last edited by Falconus on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I think I found a scam (or at least it's really weird)

Post by clfarron4 »

Having a read through, it seems they've just taken their Ubuntu guide and changed all the Ubuntu references for Mint references. Basically, I doubt it's worth following.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

Falconus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Falconus »

Ah, that would make sense. Thanks for checking it out!

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

As clfarron4 said above it looks to be a second rate cut and paste effort, the screen shots and the quote below kind of give the game away...
You can use My Weather Indicator, an appindicator that displays the current weather on the Unity top panel.
I've seen several articles along the lines of '** things to do after installing *******' and this is the first I've seen where the author doesn't appear to have actually done the things they're recommending, maybe that just means I haven't looked hard enough before :lol:.

Oh and just noticed that the screen shots of Mint are of a live session rather than installed :? .

All in all I suspect sloppy 'journalism' is the reason it looks weird, I certainly know that I wouldn't follow advice in an article that had screenshots that are obviously not of my system and I doubt even a second rate scammer would make that elementary mistake.. although I'm sure someone can prove me wrong :lol:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Falconus wrote:...I think might be a scam...
Nah. It's not a scam. It's just another one of those "X things to do after installing Y" blogs/sites/articles that usually crop up whenever a major distro releases a new version of the OS. It's no different to similar articles posted in the OMG! Ubuntu or WebUpd8 sites, for example.

A few things to note, though:

Skype is available once the Ubuntu Partner repository is enabled. It's disabled by default, at least in Ubuntu (example screencap). So, if there's a need to install Skype, this is how it's done using the CLI. Of course, you also get the same result if you enable the repository via GUI. That is, if you are using Ubuntu's version of Software Sources. It's just a checkbox away. Mint's version of Software Sources, however, doesn't have the Partner repository listed (at least from a quick-look at Mint 16 live boot). I don't see anything wrong with item 3. But if you say that Skype is available for download in Qiana, then maybe the Partner repository has already been enabled or added by default.
Falconus wrote:They are telling me to install a bunch of repositories to install ... Chromium, ... This strikes me as very odd, seeing as ... Chromium [are] available directly through the software manager and apt, and the default repositories.
Let's set the record straight, shall we? Item 4 refers to installing Google Chrome, not ChromIUM. Chromium is indeed available in the default repos, but not Chrome. The repository is from Google, so yes, nothing's wrong with it. And just like with Skype, the author posted instructions using the CLI. You essentially get the same result if you download and install the DEB file from Google's site.

As for the other repositories (read: PPAs) that were mentioned, you can always verify the trustworthiness of those repos by doing some research on Launchpad or even via your favorite search site (example). There are bound to be articles and comments from other users you can refer to.

Edit: found the following from AskUbuntu that might help you - Are PPA's safe to add to my system and what are some “red flags” to watch out for?
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by temetka »

Looks legit.

Sloppy yes, but the PPA's listed are fine.

Falconus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I think I found a scam [resolved - not a scam, just slop

Post by Falconus »

Thanks everybody. I'm glad to see that they are not trying to trick people into screwing things up. I guess they just didn't really look very closely at what they were doing before they hastily posted it.

Thanks for the information on repositories - that is helpful.

Return to “Other topics”