Cant connect to Skype in Mint (SOLVED)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
starflower
Level 3
Level 3

Cant connect to Skype in Mint (SOLVED)

Post by starflower » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 am

Hi,

I installed Skype for Linux 4.2 a while back (in Mint 16). It worked flawlessly until last week.
Then last Friday. i.e six days ago, it stopped working and whenever I try to log in i get the message "Skype cant connect".

I googled around and most the sugestions for this type of problem relate to Windows. But I tried a few ideas.
I turned off the firewall in my router
I deleted it and reinstalled via the software centre.
Always the same result "skype cant connect"

We also have a couple of laptops which also have Mint 16 installed on them and the same version of Skype. Again the same problem.
So I took the laptops to other locations like a coffee shop, library etc. Still the same problem "cant connect"

Since Skype suddenly started having this problem six days ago, on three seperate computers, and in multiple locations I am...well.. completely at a loss. Has something with Skype and its compatability with Linux changed? But if so i would have expected to find numerous google hits about it.

So..... anyone have any ideas or how to track down the problem?

Katelyn
Last edited by starflower on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Cant connect to Skype in Mint

Post by Monsta » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks to Microsoft, 4.2 won't connect anymore. You need 4.3.

If you don't plan to move to Mint 17, you'll have to get Skype from the official website: your Mint version is obsolete and won't receive the new Skype in its repositories.

But it's recommended to get Mint 17.

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:54 am

At last. A question I can answer, or at least point somone in the right direction.
Skype 4.2 doesn't work with Mint 17. If you look at the Skype entry in Software Manager you'll see rossw1947 has posted the answer. Delete 4.2 and install 4.3 from Skype's website. Worked for me!!
Go Steady, but keep going

starflower
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starflower » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks. Downloading the new version directly from the Skype website solved the problem.
I will install Mint 17 as soon as I get the time so then shouldent be an issue anymore
Again thanks!

Return to “Other topics”