Standard account vs Admin account? No difference?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Standard account vs Admin account? No difference?

Post by xox101 »

I have just installed Prey on my travelling laptop which runs Mint 17. Prey for those who don't know is a tracking program which if the laptop is stolen sends reports back to me with the thief's details including webcam pics and location. Very handy. But obviously it will only work if the thief can get online so the setting up of a guest account without a password is very important. The built in guest account does not show up on my log in screen so I had to make a new one, perhaps because I am using an HTLM log in screen.

Unfortunately when I then log into the guest account I can see everything under my (admin) account. Which obviously gives the thief full access to my files.

I'm sure there is a way to lock the guest account down with out it having access to the admin account but for the life of me I can't see it. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Standard account vs Admin account? No difference?

Post by jimallyn »

Open the File Manager. Navigate to the folder you wish to keep private - your home folder, I assume. Right click on the blank area of that folder, then click Properties. Click Permissions. Change Others permissions to None. Click Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files. Log back in as the other user and see what you've got now. That do it?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xox101 »

Worked like a charm! Many thanks.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Standard account vs Admin account? No difference? Solved

Post by xox101 »

On 17.3 now and the "Others" tab no longer exists. So can anyone tell me how to change the guest account so it can't see folders in my main account? Or how to set the Home folders in my account to private? Seems like it should be relatively simple but I can't work it out.

Edit. I think I got it. Click on File System. Open Home as root. Right click on "my" folder and select Properties-Permissions. Click on group-change Folder Access for guest to None. Repeat for second Folder Access tab and click on Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
Last edited by xox101 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm going to guess you are using Mint Cinnamon since you didn't specify.

I does appear that "Others" is not listed but the settings for it are still there. Looks like a bug to me.

And you don't have to " Click Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files." since the Linux filesystem is hierarchical. Setting it at your home folder blocks access to it's contents.

Or you can just set it manually:

Code: Select all

chmod 750 $HOME
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xox101 »

I should have specified I am using Cinnamon. Apologies. I have been on this forum long enough to know better!

Got it set the way I want it now. It has always struck me as strange that Cinnamon does not automatically block access to one account's folders and files from another account but perhaps the Guest account is different.

Many thanks for your reply.

Return to “Other topics”