Crypt-Luks and Resize

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oliiive

Crypt-Luks and Resize

Post by Oliiive »

Hello! I use Mint in my netbook for the whole disk and I need to resize my partition but I (badly I know) have crypted my system... Must I reformat/reinstall all, or can I resize it easily? Is there a solution to decrypt it?
It took me hours to configure my Mint, it would be a nitemare if I do it again...
It could be nice to have a "backup/restore" function...

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Crypt-Luks and Resize

Post by eanfrid »

By design, since real data is obfuscated, a binary-encrypted partition is "full" and cannot be neither resized nor compressed. Don't you have LVM volumes, on top of the encrypted partition, that you would resize instead ?
Oliiive

Post by Oliiive »

I have /boot for 243Mo, sda2 extended of 297Gio and within sda5 crypt-luks for the same size.

It should have a function to uncrypt a partition, I own my netbook and I know my password...
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Oliiive wrote:sda2 extended of 297Gio and within sda5 crypt-luks for the same size.
Then your LVM volume group is located on top of sda5, holding all you logical volumes that you can resize with regular LVM tools and file system utilities.

For in-place unencryption, you would need extra disk space before performing the operation...
Oliiive

Post by Oliiive »

Ok could you tell me which tool can I use to resize then? Because it isn't possible with GParted
For unencryption I need space. Could I use a usb key (I have one with 16Go, or even external harddrive)

Thanks

Edit... Reinstalled Mint from scratch... Duh! So bad it doesn't have backup facilities...

Return to “Other topics”