TOR exit node ip banned

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Camilo_C
Level 1
Level 1

TOR exit node ip banned

Post by Camilo_C » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:13 am

Just tried visiting the site through TOR;
Information

You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.
Looks like the exit node is blocked. I was just wondering if it might be possible to unblock it or use captcha or something to prevent bots accessing the site? I understand there might be some security concerns, just thought I would bring it up try and see what the official stance was.

Code: Select all

Your IP address is xx.xxx.xxx.xxx in Anonymous Proxy
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, was having a hard time figuring which sub-forum was most appropriate.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: TOR exit node ip banned

Post by xenopeek » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:58 am

We use various ways to keep malicious content at bay. One is blocking known frequent sources of such material; your exit node would likely to be one such source. While we understand there are people using Tor for legitimate reasons, on this board most anonymized visitors appear to visit with malicious intent. Hence anonymizing services may frequently be blocked. While we respect everybody's right to keep their privacy on the Internet, our primary consideration is to keep our board safe to visit and free from malicious content.

Camilo_C
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Camilo_C » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am

I thought it might be something along those lines. Thanks for the response, bit of a shame that some people feel the need to act malicously towards a support forum for free open source software :roll:

patrice4419
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patrice4419 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I had this in the past - what appeared to be the case is that the 'anonymous' person (the one using TOR) was using an IP address banned for spam. The TOR system uses many different IP addresses from different countries and cannot seem to control or not use those that have been and possibly still are used and now banned. The answer is simple - don't use TOR for visiting forums as these addresses are shared amongst forum administrators.
(Penguin PocketWee running Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, Intel Dual Core i5-4250U 1.3Ghz (2.6 Turbo), 8Gb DDR3, mSATA SSD 250Gb, wireless dual band.
The router (D-Link DS3580L) with USB slot.

Return to “Other topics”