Mint Xfce and systemd [Solved]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Mint Xfce and systemd [Solved]

Post by keithp »

This is purely for my information. I don't want to start a flame-war!

I know that it has been announced that at sometime in the future, Mint KDE and Mint Mate will be using systemd.

Is there any news if Mint XFCE will be using it too, or is it too early for a decision?

Just wondered.

Many thanks.

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint Xfce and systemd

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, every current Linux Mint edition is already using components developed by the systemd project. Most notable, udev--the dynamic device manager (the process that does the auto mounting behind the scenes, when you plug in a removable storage device like an USB thumb drive). The systemd project developers build a lot more than, what I assume you meant, just an init system.

In any case, there will be no major Linux Mint release till mid 2016 earliest so we can't comment yet about what will or won't happen then (Linux Mint 18). The minor releases of Linux Mint in between then and now (e.g., Linux Mint 17.2 later this year) will build on the common base shared by all Linux Mint 17.x releases--so it will continue to use Upstart + SysV as init system (as Upstart is an incomplete init system, there are still parts running on SysV init).

There will be no difference based on desktop environment. If Linux Mint 18, like Debian and Ubuntu, switches to systemd--all editions of Linux Mint 18 will use systemd.

If you want to use another init system, you have that freedom. Even now on Linux Mint 17 you can use other init systems.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint Xfce and systemd [Solved]

Post by keithp »

Hello xenopeek.

Thank you very much for your excellent reply. I now have a much clearer knowledge of both the present situation and what will happen in the future.

I didn't know that Mint already uses some systemd components. Learn something new every day!

Thanks again.

Keith
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Even now on Linux Mint 17 you can use other init systems.

I've been looking into how to get rid of upstart, without much luck.

How would one install systemd (init) ?

With this? (from synaptic):
"dh-systemd[sic] provides a debhelper** sequence addon named 'systemd' and the
dh_systemd_enable/dh_systemd_start commands.

The dh_systemd_enable command adds the appropriate code to the postinst, prerm
and postrm maint scripts to properly enable/disable systemd service files.

The dh_systemd_start command deals with start/stop/restart on upgrades for
systemd-only service files."
** https://packages.debian.org/en/sid/debhelper
"debhelper"= A collection of programs that can be used in a debian/rules file to automate common tasks related to building debian packages.

What's does "building debian packages" have to do with systemd?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Eh, well you can but it seems it is a lot harder these days. There used to be a PPA you could use to install systemd on Ubuntu 14.04 (base for Linux Mint 17). It's been discontinued and users are told to use a development version of Ubuntu (specifically, 15.04).

Return to “Other topics”