Zeitgeist Back?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Zeitgeist Back?

Post by DataMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:49 am

With this week's updates of MATE LTS, I see that the library supporting Zeitgeist is a candidate install. I thought we had dispensed with Zeitgeist versions ago. Is it again being built into the core ops?

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Zeitgeist Back?

Post by xenopeek » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:51 am

Those are probably the client libraries; for programs that can use data stored in Zeitgeist, not to store data in Zeitgeist. Those libraries have always been installed, as Linux Mint ships by default with programs that use these libraries. Have a client library installed for Zeitgeist doesn't activate Zeitgeist (which isn't installed), in just makes it possible for those programs to have more functionality when Zeitgeist is installed.

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks for the clarification. Will dutifully proceed with the library install.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

papaneuf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by papaneuf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 am

It seems odd there is no category on the Board Index for security. I was somewhat dismayed to read the description of Zeitgeist in the updates and held off on updating until I had further imformation. I am sure many others have done the same. An internet search and a little reading brought some comfort, peace of mind and a bit of complacency.
It is pretty much embedded in the system and if you try and remove it, you will also take gedit, and a few other good programs with it. Funny eh?

The Windows and Mac operating systems were wrapped up many years ago. 8=] Linux remained free and elusive. But no more. Zeitgeist is the backbone for Computer forensics in Linux. The discipline of computer forensics is a method to recover and investigate digital evidence for use in court. Since this would be a hard sell in open sourced Linux there is a move to legitimize Zeitgeist as an ok tool. And as you can see it is "necessary". You can screw up your system if you try and remove it.

http://www.champlain.edu/Documents/LCDI ... ensics.pdf

Where are the GNU/Linux folks on this? Not many comments. RMS made a few abstract references, but I haven't seen much outcry. Maybe it's ok, eh?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:36 am

I don't follow why you bring this up papaneuf. Again, zeitgeist isn't installed on Linux Mint--only the library to access information in zeitgeist is installed as a dependency for programs like gedit. That library contains code for programs to access information in zeitgeist, not collection information. The library doesn't do anything when you haven't installed zeitgeist. You'll have to install zeitgeist itself to collect information.

As for your general security worries, those are answered somewhat on the zeitgeist website: http://zeitgeist-project.com/about/

Users that want to use zeitgeist, and have installed it, can also install activity-log-manager. The activity-log-manager allows users to control exactly what information is collected, toggle collection on/off globally, and erase the collected information.

But again, zeitgeist isn't even installed on Linux Mint so why are we talking about this :)

DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:09 am

xenopeek wrote: [...]
But again, zeitgeist isn't even installed on Linux Mint so why are we talking about this :)
I have removed zeitgeist from my LM13/32Bit/Mate (thanks to your tutorial). I can not remember having installed zeitgeist willingly. Any chance LM13 might have zeitgeist installed as default?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:28 am

DanielR wrote:Any chance LM13 might have zeitgeist installed as default?
That could be. I know for sure that from Linux Mint 14 onward zeitgeist isn't installed on Linux Mint. I no longer have any Linux Mint 13 ISOs around to check.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:27 am

Hello, DanielR, hello, xenopeek.

The Linux Mint 13 ISO images are still present and functional here, so is Linux Mint 13 32-bit Cinnamon on my "work horse" machine.
This is what dpkg reveals about Zeitgeist:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Sx
System:    Host: computer Kernel: 3.13.0-46-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
$ dpkg --list *zeitgeist* activity-log* | grep "^ii"
ii  activity-log-manager-common                  0.9.4-0ubuntu3.2      blacklist configuration for Zeitgeist (assets)
ii  activity-log-manager-control-center          0.9.4-0ubuntu3.2      blacklist configuration for Zeitgeist (control center integration)
ii  libzeitgeist-1.0-1                           0.3.18-1ubuntu1       library to access Zeitgeist - shared library
ii  python-zeitgeist                             0.9.0-1ubuntu1        event logging framework - Python bindings
ii  zeitgeist                                    0.9.0-1ubuntu1        event logging framework
ii  zeitgeist-core                               0.9.0-1ubuntu1        event logging framework - engine
ii  zeitgeist-datahub                            0.8.2-1ubuntu2        event logging framework - passive logging daemon
The process list displays Zeitgeist as well:

Code: Select all

$ ps axu | grep -i zeitgeist
karl    2674  0.0  0.2  54676  9504 ?        Sl   10:49   0:00 zeitgeist-datahub
karl    2685  0.0  0.1  45128  6588 ?        Sl   10:49   0:00 /usr/bin/zeitgeist-daemon
karl    2693  0.0  0.2  51932  8052 ?        Sl   10:49   0:00 /usr/lib/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-fts
Hope this answers all open questions.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks Karl, I thought as much since I can not remember having installed zeitgeist myself. Thanks to xenopeek's tutorial only the zeitgeist-related libs are left on my LM13 with no ill effect so far .... :mrgreen:

Return to “Other topics”