<RESOLVED>Too many Password Requests

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Perri 7
Level 1
Level 1

<RESOLVED>Too many Password Requests

Post by Perri 7 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:39 am

Hello,

It seems that whenever you want do something in mint a password request is issued. As the only user on my machine, this is becoming an annoyance. Is there a way to disable this function so that a password is required only to log in (or to selectively choose which functions require a password - e.g. system changes)?

Regards,

Perri 7.
Last edited by Perri 7 on Sun May 24, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Too many Password Requests

Post by daveinuk » Sun May 17, 2015 6:54 am

You may want to provide some more info to get more relevant answers such as mint version (16?17?) ans desktop environment, MATE/Cinammon? As directing you will depend on these things. While I won't rattle on about the pros and cons of each way, personally, as the sole user of my machines, I still have a pass to log in, and to make changes to the system/synaptic/installing software thru terminal, it's just good practise, and benefits ME, and gives me peace of mind.

Some passwords, e.g network access etc, are not critical in the home, and are a PITA to keep entering, this is solved by changing some settings within the menu, and rather than guess what you're using, it would be easier for you to have a quick read through to eliminate some of the passes you want to remove, I would however recommend keeping a pass for system changes/software as an absolute bare minimum.

HTH

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=134131

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 am

Yes, for any administrative actions (change system-wide configuration; install or remove system components; or change files in system directories) you are asked to confirm you want to do that with a password. Not asking for a password would also potentially make it much easier for malicious software to change anything on your software without you knowing.

You can configure all this in the sudoers configuration file. To edit the configuration you run the command "sudo visudo" (do not edit the sudoers file in any other way!). If you aren't familiar it's a bit of a haystack, but there are examples of how to achieve things. The "man sudoers" command will show documentation and examples.

Some related posts with more information and examples of mine:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 17#p959952
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 98#p865060

Note that changes to sudoers file take effect the next time you log in. So log out and log back in to effect changes. Note that you can easily lock yourself out being able to use sudo if you misconfigure your account! I'd recommend creating a second administrator account first, and trying out configuration changes on that before applying the same to your own account.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sun May 17, 2015 3:41 pm

@xenopeek

I don't quit understand why you inform somebody to change the security of the system? It's not build in for nothing.
Only when changes are made on the system disk you are asked for a password. I encounter many days and I really mean many on which I don't have to type my password once. Only when I install something or do some configuration of machine settings I am asked for the password. And to be honest, I am glad for that. It gives me a safe feeling when using the computer.
In Windows you only have to click the left mouse button once to become administrator. False security because a mouse click is so easily imitated by malicious software. Here on Linux you really have to prove that you are you, a user with administrative rights after having typed the password.

@OP
What is it you are doing with your computer that you have to type the password so often? As said before, I sometimes don't do it in weeks.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun May 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Perri 7 wrote:whenever you want do something in mint a password request is issued. ..... that a password is required only to ... system changes?
No, whenever I want to do something, I do not get a password request. If you get every time a request, you either do nothing than system changes (your word, that this would be OK for you) or there is something wrong (wrong ownership of files for example). So: what does it really mean: "whenever ..."?

And daveinuk is right: without telling something about your system it is impossible to tell about solutions. Although I remember, that we had some time back solved a problem I do not keep in mind, which system somebody has. It costs you a short sentence to tell it.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Mon May 18, 2015 3:37 pm

DeMus wrote:In Windows you only have to click the left mouse button once to become administrator. False security because a mouse click is so easily imitated by malicious software.
No! Log on to your Windows computer with a standard user account, not as user in administration group. Then Windows will prompt you for permission or an administrator password. Why in Windows almost everyone break common rules but in Linux don't want ?:)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Running with root privileges to avoid typing a password is a very dangerous practice. One mistake is all it takes to destroy the entire system.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Tue May 19, 2015 5:38 am

Yes, of course! I meant Windows have same degree of users privilegies control, but somehow everyone don't think about it and working as administrators all the way. Then blaimed Windows, not themselves.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Tue May 19, 2015 4:26 pm

BigEasy wrote:Yes, of course! I meant Windows have same degree of users privilegies control, but somehow everyone don't think about it and working as administrators all the way. Then blaimed Windows, not themselves.

Both could be equally to blame.

Perri 7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perri 7 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks folks.

As I was dealing with a fresh installation of Linux Mint 17.1 I was installing software packages and the like so was engaged in system changes. I was experimenting with what was doable. This likely explains the issue I raised. Let's mark it resolved and move on.

Thank you for comments.

Perri 7.

Return to “Other topics”