Can't post a response to Linux Mint Blog

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Can't post a response to Linux Mint Blog

Post by mhenriday »

After upgrading from Rebecca to Rafaela today, I attempted to post a brief response to Clem's latest blog, detailing my experience and thanking him and the other developers for their great work. I had no trouble posting and received no error messages, but my response, which should have been shown as no 83, did not appear on the thread. Switching from my default FF Nightly browser to Chrome dev, I tried again, with the same discouraging result. When I attempted to repeat my posting in each of the browsers, I did receive a duplicate notification from WordPress, but still my message does not appear on the commentary thread....

What's going on ?... :(

Henri
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can't post a response to Linux Mint Blog

Post by xenopeek »

The blog comments are moderated. New comments won't be displayed till after they are approved. Welcome to the Internet :)
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Solved : Can't post a response to Linux Mint Blog

Post by mhenriday »

xenopeek wrote:The blog comments are moderated. New comments won't be displayed till after they are approved. Welcome to the Internet :)
Thanks for your kind invitation, xenopeek ; I hope you won't be disturbed to learn that I began using such internet applications as email and the world wide web in the early 1990s, shortly after Tim Berners-Lees invented the latter at CERN. In my experience, most moderated sites post a notice to that effect ; indeed, generally speaking, when one has submitted a post to them a notice is displayed which says something like «your post is awaiting moderation». This does not seem to be the case with Clem's blog, which is the reason why I sought clarification here ; thank you for providing it.... ;-)

Henri
mbott
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solved : Can't post a response to Linux Mint Blog

Post by mbott »

mhenriday wrote:In my experience, most moderated sites post a notice to that effect ; indeed, generally speaking, when one has submitted a post to them a notice is displayed which says something like «your post is awaiting moderation».
If memory serves, it will post a message back to you initially. However, once you leave the site, that notification and the post is no longer viewable...until the post is moderated.

--
Mike
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday »

mbott wrote:
mhenriday wrote:In my experience, most moderated sites post a notice to that effect ; indeed, generally speaking, when one has submitted a post to them a notice is displayed which says something like «your post is awaiting moderation».
If memory serves, it will post a message back to you initially. However, once you leave the site, that notification and the post is no longer viewable...until the post is moderated.

--
Mike
Thanks for your reply, Mike ; may I ask just what you mean when you say that «it [i e, Clem's blog] will post a message back to you initially» ? Via the epost address with which one has registered, as do, for example these fora if one requests notification ? If so, I can report that for some reason I never received any such message....

I fully understand why the commentary thread is moderated - it is devoid of flame wars and personal attacks, instead being devoted to reports of user experiences, requests for help (to which Clem usually replies :) ) and helpful tips. My only suggestion would be that a notice to the effect that the thread is moderated be placed in the little box containing the following text :
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
As for my own post, I can only assume that it was weighed and found wanting ; checking this morning I find that 106 responses have now been published in the thread, but mine is not among them. I fail to understand why so innocuous a text as the following should be blocked :
Didn't take more than a few minutes to upgrade my 64-bit LM Cinnamon (2.6) box from Rebecca to Rafaela - how I wish that the pensioners whom I help with their computer problems and their time-consuming Windows upgrades/updates were all running Linux Mint rather than Windows ! The only surprise I noted after rebooting was that GRUB automatically booted to the 3.13.0-55 kernel, which I had been using on Rebecca, even though a check in Synaptic showed that the 3.16.0-38 had indeed been installed. Running sudo update-grub didn't help, so I manually installed the 3.16.0-39.53~14.04.1 kernel, to which after a reboot GRUB boots by default....

Wonderful work - kudos to Clem and the other developers and many, many thanks !...

Henri
but perhaps that's why I'm not a moderator.... :wink:

In any event, I take the liberty of repeating here my sentiments above : Wonderful work - kudos to Clem and the other developers and many, many thanks !...

Henri
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

mhenriday wrote:My only suggestion would be that a notice to the effect that the thread is moderated be placed in the little box containing the following text :
That's teeny-tiny text. I doubt it would be read by anybody. We have moderation of posts on the forum as well. You're informed of that after you post. From the amount of people double, triple, or even quadruple posting the same thing (being shown that same message each time) because they think something went wrong because their post isn't shown, I for one have lost faith in usefulness of such information.
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday »

xenopeek wrote:
mhenriday wrote:My only suggestion would be that a notice to the effect that the thread is moderated be placed in the little box containing the following text :
That's teeny-tiny text. I doubt it would be read by anybody. We have moderation of posts on the forum as well. You're informed of that after you post. ...
In the event, xenopeek, you doubt that the «teeny-tiny text» would be read by «anybody» (obviously, your humble interlocutor does not, in your estimation, qualify as «anybody», since I did indeed read it), why not then simply remove the box ?...

Note also that your statement that posters are informed that the commentary threads are moderated did not hold true in my case - I received no such notice. But since you seem to be involved in said moderation, perhaps you can tell me why my post to the commentary thread, which I have quoted in extenso above, was not published on the thread ?...

Henri
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I have not made any remark about being informed about moderation on the blog, and I'm not involved with moderation of the blog. Development team handles the blog. I've remarked about members on the forum (where we are now) being informed about moderation after they make a post. You must have misread.
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday »

xenopeek wrote:I have not made any remark about being informed about moderation on the blog, and I'm not involved with moderation of the blog. Development team handles the blog. I've remarked about members on the forum (where we are now) being informed about moderation after they make a post. You must have misread.
I should obviously have written «seem to be knowledgeable with respect to» rather than «seem to be involved in» the moderation process, xenopeek, my must humble apologies ! But knowledgeable as you seem to be - why otherwise reply (several times !) to a query on this matter by stating that the blog in question, Clem's blog, was moderated and just how that moderation took place ? - my experience shows that you are misinformed about moderation on that blog, which is the subject of this particular thread and has consistently been the matter under discussion ; perhaps it's you who have misread ? Moreover, when I post a new topic to these fora, I am not informed that my post is subject to moderation ; rather a notification appears immediately on the screen informing me that my post has succeeded and offering me the option to open it....

We shall have to see if this reply to you is «moderated» or whether, as usual, it «succeeds».... :wink:

Henri

PS : It did indeed «succeed» - with precisely the type of notification I mentioned, as seen in the screenshot, infra....
Attachments
Linux_Mint_notifikation_2015-07-05 13-36-01.png
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

To the best of my knowledge from previous questions about it, and my own experiences, comments on the blog aren't displayed till they are approved by a blog moderator.

Posts on this forum are subject to approval by a forum moderator, and you are informed of such after each post. That is only for new members though. Once a member has made a number of posts and is confirmed to not be a spammer, this requirement for posts to be approved is dropped. You've been confirmed to not be a spammer before today :wink: I didn't want to write a book about it, but there you have it.

I realize this doesn't answer the question why your specific comment hasn't been approved yet / isn't displayed. Can only assume it's too hot or other tasks have had priority over blog moderation :wink:
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday »

xenopeek wrote:.... Posts on this forum are subject to approval by a forum moderator, and you are informed of such after each post. That is only for new members though. Once a member has made a number of posts and is confirmed to not be a spammer, this requirement for posts to be approved is dropped. You've been confirmed to not be a spammer before today :wink: I didn't want to write a book about it, but there you have it.

I realize this doesn't answer the question why your specific comment hasn't been approved yet / isn't displayed. Can only assume it's too hot or other tasks have had priority over blog moderation :wink:
Good to hear an explicit statement to the effect that posters to these fora whom previous posts have shown not to be spammers, are dropped from the list of potential spammers - that must obviate the need for moderators to check a lot of posts unnecessarily ! As I mentioned above, I appreciate the need for moderation and the work that is done by those who volunteer (?) for the task ; I also appreciate that as a moderator - or for that matter, a run-of-the-mill contributor - one doesn't want to «write a book» in response to every question. However, one is advised to see that sufficient specifics are included in one's response so that it does not become misleading.... :wink:

In any event, some 118 responses have now been published on the commentary thread to Clem's blog on How to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2, so even if it's quite hot in Paris (which my youngest daughter, who lives there, has just confirmed in a Gmail chat) and/or nearby regions (if, indeed, moderation takes place there), the task of moderation seems to be proceeding, if not apace, at least with deliberate speed. Perhaps the moderators will get 'round to my comment within a reasonable period of time - given the importance of the topic, it's no wonder that a lot of LM users are posting to the thread.... :o

Henri
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

mhenriday wrote:volunteer (?)
To answer what I infer to be a question, yes we're all volunteers. Most of the teams and contributors are.
mbott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbott »

mhenriday wrote:Thanks for your reply, Mike ; may I ask just what you mean when you say that «it [i e, Clem's blog] will post a message back to you initially» ? Via the epost address with which one has registered, as do, for example these fora if one requests notification ? If so, I can report that for some reason I never received any such message....
Sorry, I've been away. When I posted my comment, I immediately received an on-screen notification that my post was awaiting moderation. I almost missed it the first time I posted in the blog.

--
Mike
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday »

mbott wrote:
mhenriday wrote:Thanks for your reply, Mike ; may I ask just what you mean when you say that «it [i e, Clem's blog] will post a message back to you initially» ? Via the epost address with which one has registered, as do, for example these fora if one requests notification ? If so, I can report that for some reason I never received any such message....
Sorry, I've been away. When I posted my comment, I immediately received an on-screen notification that my post was awaiting moderation. I almost missed it the first time I posted in the blog.

--
Mike
Thanks for your reply, Mike ! I neither received an on-screen notification nor an email message that my post would be subject to moderation, but I see now that some 200 posts to be blog have been published, so I presume mine was weighed and found wanting. So can it go !...

One thing - you write «I almost missed it [i e, the on-screen notification] the first time [my emphasis, MHD] I posted in the blog». Should that be taken to mean that such an on-screen notification is shown only the first time a given poster posts to Clem's blog, no matter to which blog post he or she is responding, or that such a notification is shown the first time a response is posted to a specific blog post ?...

Henri
mbott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbott »

One thing - you write «I almost missed it [i e, the on-screen notification] the first time [my emphasis, MHD] I posted in the blog». Should that be taken to mean that such an on-screen notification is shown only the first time a given poster posts to Clem's blog, no matter to which blog post he or she is responding, or that such a notification is shown the first time a response is posted to a specific blog post ?...

Henri
Since I've only posted once in any given thread, I do not believe I have an answer to that.

--
Mike
mhenriday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mhenriday »

mbott wrote:

Henri
Since I've only posted once in any given thread, I do not believe I have an answer to that.
--
Mike
Perhaps, Mike, I didn't make myself clear ; I was speaking specifically of posts to Clem's blog. You seem to have responded to more than one blog post there ; has it been the case that each time you've posted to a different thread on the same blog, have you received the notification you mentioned ? Or did you receive it only the first time you posted to the blog ?...

Henri

Return to “Other topics”