Why can't my computer mount my tablet?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Why can't my computer mount my tablet?

Post by melody5697 »

It worked for a few minutes, then I got this message:

Unable to mount SAMSUNG Android
Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,004]'

I clicked it under devices, and got this message:

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,004]/".
Error: No such interface 'org.gtk.vfs.Mount' on object at path /ort/gtk/vfs/mount/2
Please select another viewer and try again.

It worked just fine yesterday (except Banshee couldn't get to my music for some reason). What's going on and how do I fix it? I tried restarting both my computer and my tablet to see if that would help but it didn't. Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should've stuck to Windows. I don't really know much about computers. I just use Linux Mint because I hate what's been done to Windows. Oh, and my tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Why can't my computer mount my tablet?

Post by Flemur »

google [Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,004]'] showed some solutions consisting of:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mtp-tools mtpfs
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

Flemur wrote:google [Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,004]'] showed some solutions consisting of:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mtp-tools mtpfs
That didn't work. I now have 26 error messages on the screen. I had to unplug my tablet to get them to stop popping up. Here's what they say (mostly in reverse chronological order):

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,007]/".
Error: No such interface 'org.gtk.vfs.Mount' on object at path /org/gtk/vfs/mount/1

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,044]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,043]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,042]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,041]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,040]'

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,031]/".
Error: No such interface 'org.gtk.vfs.Mount' on object at path /org/gtk/vfs/mount/1

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,018]/".

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,017]/".

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,037]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,036]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,035]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,034]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,033]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,030]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,028]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,026]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,024]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,019]'

Unable to open a folder for SAMSUNG Android
The specified location is not mounted

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,015]/".

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,014]'

Could not display "mtp://[usb:001,013]/".

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,012]'

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,011]'

Couldn't find matching udev device.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

Isn't someone else gonna try to help me? Or do none of you have any idea what to do? Should I just give up and switch to a different distro?

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

If nobody helps me, I'm switching to a different distro.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

It just occurred to me that it might just be the USB port I'm using, so I tried a different one, but that didn't work either. And the computer can't even detect my phone. I wonder if there's any connection between this and my computer refusing to boot from a CD (which, of course, makes it impossible to try out another distro)...

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

In case this matters, my flash drive works just fine.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

melody5697 wrote:If nobody helps me, I'm switching to a different distro.
That's probably not the easiest way to fix this.

From this thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/150 ... -in-ubuntu

I would say try to enable android usb debugging by:

Android 4.2 or higher - Jelly Bean:

-Settings > About
-scroll to Build number and tap it 7 times
-now you will find "Developer Options" in the "Settings"-menu
-go to it and enable "USB Debugging"

If that doesn't work, try restarting.

If that doesn't work, try another USB port, especially any USB 3.0 ports you have, there was talk in another thread about the problem being a lack of current.

Extra note: Make sure you are past the android devices lockscreen (so unlock it first) or it will not mount.

Report back and let us know how it goes.
Donate to your favourite distros!

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

Chiefahol wrote:
melody5697 wrote:If nobody helps me, I'm switching to a different distro.
That's probably not the easiest way to fix this.

From this thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/150 ... -in-ubuntu

I would say try to enable android usb debugging by:

Android 4.2 or higher - Jelly Bean:

-Settings > About
-scroll to Build number and tap it 7 times
-now you will find "Developer Options" in the "Settings"-menu
-go to it and enable "USB Debugging"

If that doesn't work, try restarting.

If that doesn't work, try another USB port, especially any USB 3.0 ports you have, there was talk in another thread about the problem being a lack of current.

Extra note: Make sure you are past the android devices lockscreen (so unlock it first) or it will not mount.

Report back and let us know how it goes.
That didn't do anything. Once again, I have tons of error messages. I'll have to exit each one individually to know how many there are because there isn't enough space for them to all be shown in the task bar. I've already tried restarting both my tablet and my computer and that didn't do any good. I've also tried all of my USB ports and none of them worked. They work just fine for my flash drive, though. I've also tried every cord I could find. This problem didn't exist yesterday. Yesterday I could connect my tablet to my computer just fine.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

I just counted the error messages. There were 63 of them.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

That's a shit load of error messages.

Sorry you're having trouble, but i am stumped on this one.

Good luck.

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

Welp, I just tried running Ubuntu from a CD and plugging in my tablet and it worked just fine. It must be something having to do with Linux Mint. I won't be switching to Ubuntu because I hate it, but I'll be looking at other distros.
...Or maybe not. The problem seems to be gone now. I've had my tablet plugged into my computer for several minutes and nothing has gone wrong yet.

willix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willix »

I could'nt mount my Android HTC one Mini2 either after a fresh Linux Mint install until I added the product and vendor id tuple to the 69-libmtp.rules file.

HOWTO:
plug-in you device and run the lsusb command and identify it's id:
Mine was:
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 0bb4:0f64 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.)

then edit the file /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules and add a rule at the end such as

# HTC HTC One Mini2
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0f64", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660", GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"

and reboot (not sure if you need to but just to make sure)

Notes
I'm still getting an Unable to mount Android Phone message but then nemo opens and I can access my internal and external stockage devices

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

This works also for my Kobo Arc 7 HD. It was not necessary to reboot
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

The problem already went away on its own.

willix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willix »

Just an update. The above procedure enables me to access my android phone. However as soon as I start Banshee music player (or if it's running), banshee tries to 'grab' the connection: i.e. it umounts the access points and freezes. Thus I can't use Banshee to synchronize my music on my phone.

I've managed to workaround this by disabling 'MTP Media Player Support' in the extension tab of banshee's preferences windows. Banshee stops 'grabing' the connection but I still can't sync my music.

Anybody have a clue on what's going on?

bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

willix wrote:Just an update. The above procedure enables me to access my android phone. However as soon as I start Banshee music player (or if it's running), banshee tries to 'grab' the connection: i.e. it umounts the access points and freezes. Thus I can't use Banshee to synchronize my music on my phone.

I've managed to workaround this by disabling 'MTP Media Player Support' in the extension tab of banshee's preferences windows. Banshee stops 'grabing' the connection but I still can't sync my music.

Anybody have a clue on what's going on?
Sounds like you need to seek some Banshee support, and/or minimally, how to turn on some kinda logging so there is some visibility into what's going on during the syncing.
Have you looked at alternatives to Banshee?
Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15, Windows 10, Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19.24-1 MX-Linux 18.1 Lenovo Ideapad G50-45 8GB
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 WiFi

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi melody5697 & Anyone else with Android issues,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this too.

First, there are a whole lot of good knowledgeable people here in this forum that can help you out, if you can be a little more patient. It would help to have more specific system setup information, see FYI below.

I came across a link for a really great program called "KDE Connect" which you can use with any edition of Linux Mint. Non-KDE users like Cinnamon, Mate, etc... see the section for "non-KDE" users.

Using "KDE Connect" to Sync your Android Device(s) with Your Linux Computer
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kde-connec ... oid-linux/

Remember, If you are not using KDE, then install these three programs below in the quote box in blue.
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, ..etc) run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too)
sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
Second, you can also try another one of the wonderful Linux music applications, like my favorite Amarok, and there is Clementine, Exhaile, Tomahawk, etc...

Hope this helps ...

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my favorite), or Xfce; version 17, 17.1, 17.2, or What?; 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from top of your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program(s), and the best is by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

melody5697 wrote:The problem already went away on its own.
I was kinda thinking it would, strange isn't it?

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

I've been getting a similar message since I first installed Cinnamon and used my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Tablet. I used it for reading only and side loading my books from my Calibre library. The thing though, I never get the continuous error messages as melody5697. Mine only shows up once for every connection: Unable to mount SAMSUNG_Android Unable to open MTP device'[usb: 0.03, 004]
This happens every single time I connect the tablet to the computer.

In any case, it proceeded to open anyway and I can navigate to my external micro sd card and load my books in my folder.

Since I eventually get to do what I need to do, is it necessary to install the 3 plugins phd21 suggested or Would it one day fix itself, perhaps? Like it did for melody5697.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Return to “Other topics”