Why can't my computer mount my tablet?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acejavelin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by acejavelin »

Have you tried restarting the Xserver with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE? I have this exact issue with other MTP devices, but if I do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and login and reconnect the device, it works every time.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 750w PS
Nvidia GTX 980ti - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe (Linux) - Sandisk X400 256GB M.2 SSD (Windows 10)
Seagate 3TB HDD - LG 16x Blu-Ray RW
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Re:

Post by xdicey »

acejavelin wrote:Have you tried restarting the Xserver with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE? I have this exact issue with other MTP devices, but if I do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and login and reconnect the device, it works every time.

What's the Xserver and when would one use the combinations keys? Before connecting the tablet or while it's connected?
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
acejavelin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Re:

Post by acejavelin »

xdicey wrote:
acejavelin wrote:Have you tried restarting the Xserver with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE? I have this exact issue with other MTP devices, but if I do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and login and reconnect the device, it works every time.

What's the Xserver and when would one use the combinations keys? Before connecting the tablet or while it's connected?
A simple way to explain Xserver is it's the framework that sits under Cinnamon (or whatever Desktop Environment you use like KDE, Mate, etc) that provides the interface between the base operating system and your DE, Linux in itself is not a graphical environment but Xserver provides the intermediate level of interfacing between the kernel and DE. This is a bit simplified, but hopefully you get the idea.

If I connect my MTP device and it fails like described in this post I make sure all windows are closed and press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE, this will close your DE and restart the underlying Xserver processes, then log back in and connect your device... This always works for me.

Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 750w PS
Nvidia GTX 980ti - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe (Linux) - Sandisk X400 256GB M.2 SSD (Windows 10)
Seagate 3TB HDD - LG 16x Blu-Ray RW
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why can't my computer mount my tablet?

Post by xdicey »

Yes. I do understand now. I'll give it a try next time I'm about to download / side load my books to my tablet.

thx for explaining.
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
cinnamint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cinnamint »

HTC M8 would not mount, use different viewer error. Cinnamon 18.1 Mint Serena. Logged into Mate; no problem mount and transfer. Logged back to Cinnamon, good to go again. Restarting "X" and reboot had not solved. Always keep Mate backup
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

This is an old post cinnamint, you may want to start to new thread. As far as I know, this one never got solved.
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Hypex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hypex »

No it's still not solved. It's a bit of a hit and miss. I get it as well. Sometimes I get the errors. Sometimes it will mount. Not as easy on my Android 7 phone where I had to give it permission every time. My older one was better. Plug and play. Connect it up and it mounts on the desktop.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hypex wrote:No it's still not solved. It's a bit of a hit and miss. I get it as well. Sometimes I get the errors. Sometimes it will mount. Not as easy on my Android 7 phone where I had to give it permission every time. My older one was better. Plug and play. Connect it up and it mounts on the desktop.
Please don't necrobump old threads. Start a new thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Other topics”