Support for Japanese not working?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Support for Japanese not working?

Post by Shinespark »

Hi, I just have a small problem with japanese language support. I have some music in japanese and the text on the file names is all scrambled.
So I went to Preferences > Languages and installed Japanese, but the text remains scrambled, even after rebooting. Nothing changed at all. What should I do?

Screenshots attached.
http://imgur.com/a/ReZSN
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Support for Japanese not working?

Post by tolkien »

It may be the fonts or the encoding of the file names.
First enter this in the terminal to make sure you have Japanese fonts installed:
fc-list :lang="ja"
Also verify that you can view Japanese in general. For example, in the browser and in the names of files you create yourself.
If everything seems to be okay with the fonts, then one option is to rename the files yourself in the file manager.
Another option is to change the encoding of the file names to utf8 using the utility "convmv", which can be installed from the repositories: sudo apt-get install convmv
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

tolkien wrote:It may be the fonts or the encoding of the file names.
First enter this in the terminal to make sure you have Japanese fonts installed:
fc-list :lang="ja"
Also verify that you can view Japanese in general. For example, in the browser and in the names of files you create yourself.
If everything seems to be okay with the fonts, then one option is to rename the files yourself in the file manager.
Another option is to change the encoding of the file names to utf8 using the utility "convmv", which can be installed from the repositories: sudo apt-get install convmv
Hello, thank you for your reply.

Here is the output of the command you gave me

Code: Select all

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/wqy/wqy-microhei.ttc: WenQuanYi Micro Hei,文泉驛微米黑,文泉驿微米黑:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSansJapanese.ttf: Droid Sans Japanese:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf: Droid Sans Fallback:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf: TakaoPGothic,Takao Pゴシック:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/takao-gothic/TakaoPGothic.ttf: TakaoPGothic,Takao Pゴシック:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/wqy/wqy-microhei.ttc: WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono,文泉驛等寬微米黑,文泉驿等宽微米黑:style=Regular
I can see japanese in my browser just fine. I can also see the name of a directory in japanese that I made myself, also works fine.
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien »

Okay, so it looks like an encoding problem.
As I wrote in my first post, you can rename the files yourself or use "convmv" to convert the names to Unicode.
Before converting the names though, you will need to find the encoding that was used in the file names.
You can use the web browser for this. Open Firefox and point it to the directory of the music files. You will get the listing of files in that folder.
Then press "alt+v" and select "Text Encoding" to switch encodings.
Try these encodings one at a time: iso-2022-jp, euc-jp, shi​tfs-jis.
Does one of them make the file names readable?
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

Hi, sorry I took so long.
I don't have Firefox, so I tried using the command file to see the encoding of my files. The output is here:

file --mime-encoding *.mp3
01 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Ex Violin Version-.mp3:                binary
02 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Ex Violin Version- (Instrumental).mp3: binary
03 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Ex Violin Version- (Short Edit).mp3:   binary
04 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Original Version-.mp3:                 binary
05 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Original Version- (Short Edit).mp3:    binary
As you can see, they are encoded in "binary", so I tried using convmv to transform them to iso-2022-jp, however convmv complained that it didn't know what "binary" was and didn't do it.
What's the problem here, is that not their encoding?
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

Actually I tried with a different folder where some files do have their appropriate names, and their encoding also says "binary" even though they do work. I don't know why but I assume file is not telling me what the encoding is, or at least that would be my guess.

file --mime-encoding *.flac
(01) [上海アリス幻樂団] 蓬莱伝説.flac:                       binary
(02) [上海アリス幻樂団] 二色蓮花蝶 ~ Red and White.flac:   binary
(03) [上海アリス幻樂団] 桜花之恋塚 ~ Japanese Flower.flac: binary
(04) [上海アリス幻樂団] 明治十七年の上海アリス.flac:         binary
(05) [上海アリス幻樂団] 東方怪奇談.flac:                     binary
(06) [上海アリス幻樂団] エニグマティクドール.flac:           binary
(07) [上海アリス幻樂団] サーカスレヴァリエ.flac:             binary
(08) [上海アリス幻樂団] 人形の森.flac:                       binary
(09) [上海アリス幻樂団] Witch of Love Potion.flac:           binary
(10) [上海アリス幻樂団] リーインカーネイション.flac:         binary
(11) [上海アリス幻樂団] U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか?.flac:     binary
(12) [上海アリス幻樂団] 永遠の巫女.flac:                     binary
(13) [上海アリス幻樂団] 空飛ぶ巫女の不思議な毎日.flac:       binary
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien »

Because it probably checks the contents of the files, not their names.
Anyway, you need to convert the filenames to utf-8, not to other encodings, so that the file manager can understand them.
Try specifying the following encodings to convmv as the source encoding:
iso-2022-jp, euc-jp, shiftjis.
To see the listing of all supported encodings type "convmv --list".
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

convmv -f iso-2022-jp -t utf-8 *.mp3
Starting a dry run without changes...
Skipping, already UTF-8: ./01 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Ex Violin Version-.mp3
Skipping, already UTF-8: ./02 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Ex Violin Version- (Instrumental).mp3
Skipping, already UTF-8: ./03 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Ex Violin Version- (Short Edit).mp3
Skipping, already UTF-8: ./04 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Original Version-.mp3
Skipping, already UTF-8: ./05 - Ú£ºµƒôÒéüÒü«ÒéóÒâáÒâìÒéñÒé©Òéó -Original Version- (Short Edit).mp3
No changes to your files done. Use --notest to finally rename the files.
They're already UTF-8?
Does this mean that instead of their names being the proper ones, but in a different encoding, they have messed up names in the correct encoding?
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien »

Possibly, but you might want to try with another program to make sure. Can you download Firefox from the repositories?
Also, have you tried the other two Japanese encodings with convmv? Same result?
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

tolkien wrote:Possibly, but you might want to try with another program to make sure. Can you download Firefox from the repositories?
Also, have you tried the other two Japanese encodings with convmv? Same result?
I did try the other 2 encodings, same result.
I'll try downloading Firefox and get back to you when I can.
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

I downloaded Firefox but I can't figure out how to navigate in my own hard drive with it. I found some explanations online but only for Windows...
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien »

Copy and paste the path to the folder with the music files as if it were a website, for example: /home/user/music
Or simply enter "/home" and navigate to the folder.
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

Okay, I tried.

shift-jis transforms the mess into actual characters, but they're repeated over and over.
iso-2022-jp transforms everything to question marks
euc-jp translates some to japanese, some to question marks

None of them match what the titles should actually be, acording to the back cover of the album...
I don't understand what this means.
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien »

So maybe you are right and the filenames are messed up.
If you have the files on another system, you can also check the filenames there.
However, it may be easier to just rename the files yourself in case you don't have many files.
Shinespark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shinespark »

I don't have another system to check them on.
They're not so many that I can't do it manually, though, I suppose.
Thank you very much, you've been most helpful.

Return to “Other topics”